First ND Filter Shots during Illuminations

Discussion in 'Epcot Photos' started by jbwolffiv, Aug 27, 2011.

1. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

So I bought a .6 ND filter to play with in WDW this summer, not knowing what I was doing at all. ; I only gave it a whirl during Illuminations (which I never see since my daughter hates it!) ; I think the hardest thing for me on this attempt was I have know idea about the bursts. ; I need to try this at Magic Kingdom for Wishes since I pretty much know that one by heart. ; Here are the ones I liked best, let me know what you think.

Nikon D7000, f/11, 20 seconds, ISO 100
    [​IMG]
    Illuminations #1 by jbwolffiv, on Flickr

Nikon D7000, f/11, 10 seconds, ISO 100
    [​IMG]
    Illuminations #2 by jbwolffiv, on Flickr

Nikon D7000, f/11, 10 seconds, ISO 100
    [​IMG]
    Illuminations #3 by jbwolffiv, on Flickr

Nikon D7000, f/11, 15 seconds, ISO 100
    [​IMG]
    Illuminations #4 by jbwolffiv, on Flickr

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Well done, my friend.

sent from my htc thunderbolt ;

3. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Very well done! ; I REALLY need to get one of these for myself. ; I hope that I can get it before Pixelmania!

4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Love the third shot. ; Outstanding.

5. jtrain75

jtrain75 Member

Nice job! Love the forth shot!

6. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Thanks all, cant wait to try again at Pixelmania!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. goofmick

goofmick Member

Nice job John.

8. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Excellent first effort. ; Heck, excellent 100th effort!

9. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Well done Sir! ; Can't wait to get back down to use mine at Pixelmania.

brought to you by an (HTC) "Incredible" Guy.

10. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Thanks! ; I believe a lot of luck was part of it. ; Now if my power would just come back!

11. gary

gary Member

these are very good, i'd humbly suggest trying slightly longer times, particularly #2, i posted a very similar shot from last years pixelmania, with a 25 second shot, i had my vari-n-duo dialed all the way dark for that, perhaps 15 seconds for the .6, that will get longer fan shaped trails and my personal taste in more vivid colors.
    the wdw fireworks are a subject that seems to need a fair amount of shoots, to kind of fine tune what you are looking for, because the angles and distances from the bursts varies so much from park to park

12. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Thanks Gary! ; I will give the longer shutter time a shot at Pixelmania and see what I get!

13. mSummers

mSummers Member

Excellent work John! ; I'll second Gary's recommendation of a slightly longer exposure time.

; Jeff, I have a spare 0.6 (I think) with 77mm threads you can borrow during Pixelmania if you don't have one yet. ; Shoot me a PM the weekend before to remind me to pack it.

14. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

ok, thanks Mike! ; I think I would just need a step down ring to get me to 72mm, but I will let you know.

15. gary

gary Member

clikkity click to b&h right now and order the 72-77mm step up ring, plastic versions run cheap, do not spend more than $10, you need STEP-UP, because you are going from lens 72mm to a larger, 77mm filter, thus making sure that male end screws into lens, female side, accepts threaded filter

16. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Thanks Mike!

17. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Look for 0.9 and even a 1.6 ND filters to try next time.

It is hard to keep that shutter open so long, isn't it? ; Wishes is easier as you can keep it open for each of the scenes. ; Illuminations has scenes too but are much longer. ;

Hit up youTube for Illuminations videos to get to know the show better.

18. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Thanks Scott! ; Does that mean I need to place an order at B&H before Pixelmania? ; Please forward that to my wife!

19. MJHurley

MJHurley Member

Great series. I really like #4.

20. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Thanks!!!!