Apple releases Aperture 3

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by Scottwdw, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Thanks for posting that Scott. ; Some really really really good tips there!

It was time for Library clean up anyway. ; I like the fact that I'll be able to split my libraries and switch quickly between them.

2. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

You're welcome, Roger. ; Yeah, I am excited about having multiple libraries. Makes more sense to me than the projects which I will now use the way I believe they were intended to be used. ; Still on the fence about using Aperture to control photo locations. ; I like my hard drive folder setup for the physical files and Aperture for the Subject organization.

3. Roger

I thought you can configure it to maintain location when importing into Aperture. ; Or maybe now you can.

4. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Yep, that's what I do and will probably continue to so. The experts seem to prefer letting Aperture do it.

5. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

I still cannot get over the price! ; $199! ; Compared to Photoshop you can buy both Aperature 3 AND Nikon's Capture NX2 Software and still have some money left over

6. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Or get Nik's Viveza plug-in for the U-Point technology then you won't need Capture NX.

Of course, brushes looks Nik-like. ; Will be interesting to see how it works. ; Would really like to change out some of the dull gray skies from the December trip. ; :)

7. Roger

I keep forgetting that Nik added the Viveza plugin for Aperture. ; Now the waiting game begins for the A3 updates!

I still have both NN and Nik's Dfine 2.0 for noise removal. ; I find that Dfine was faster, and allowed me more fine control of detecting noise.

8. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Part of me thinks that using software written and released by Nikon would be useful to have in the arsenal because it would be focused on the NEF file type. ; Who better to know the ins and outs of their RAW format than the people who devised it. ; I'm sure there are parts of their architecture they don't release to 3rd Party vendors

9. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

10. mSummers

mSummers Member

Actually, NX does so much more than Viveza. ; Viveza is realy only meant to adjust colors, where NX is a complete raw file editor. ; More importantly to me, NX allows for a completely non-destructive workflow. ; All of the adjustments are saved to the .NEF file as a "Step," maintaining the original image under all of the adjustments. ; Since NX saves the adjustments as steps, I can go back at any time in the future and remove any or all of the adjustments and make new changes, without affecting the original image at all.

11. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Yes, you are correct. ; Aperture does the same with its own edits but plug-ins creates a new TIFF file. ; Though that still preserves the original file you can not undo the plug-in adjustment like you can in NX.

That's why Aperture 3's new brushes tools will be great to work with.

12. BorisMD

BorisMD Member

Thanks for the link to the videos.

I downloaded Aperture 3 trial, and am in the process of importing my iPhoto library -- it's taking a long time.

So far, this looks like a nice alternative to iPhoto (or like iPhoto on steroids); ; more powerful, more features, and just might obviate the need for Photoshop elements.

I'll keep watching the tutorial videos and start playing with some of my photos soon.

Regards,

Boris

13. Roger

Just be careful, you may get addicted to RAW. ; ;)

14. BorisMD

BorisMD Member

So I got A3 up and running. ; It took many hours for it to import my iPhoto library. ; Now however, it runs pretty well. ; I was reading some reports on the Apple discussions boards about how it has been sluggish, but I'm not really seeing that. ; It does suck up the RAM.

Here's a shot I took yesterday and tried some of the RAW tools on. ; I am blown away by how many tools there are. ; I definitely see this as an iPhoto substitute, but I have to figure out how to make it a convenient process. ; The old iPhoto was a very simple workflow.

Regards,

Boris

Hmm, I'm having trouble getting the image to display. ; I'm using my MobileMe gallery as the image host, as I can't yet do a direct upload to SmugMug from A3, but they do have a button to publish your image to MobileMe.

Lets try this:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  15. Roger

Presets FTW.

And stamping presets across selections of photos.

16. Roger

The upgrade disc came in the mail today. ; Installed, now time to begin the conversion!

17. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Good luck! ; :D

18. Paul

Paul Member

19. Roger

Well no problems so far thanks to the tip of not having the system automatically use my old library (turning faces off to start, etc.)

Processed #s through L, so still a while to go...but at least I can use my system at the same time!

20. Roger

I let it run all night and everything was fine with the library. ; Now I need to turn on faces! ; And actually take it for a test run. ; So thanks Jeff!