Apple releases Aperture 3

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by Scottwdw, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Roger, I read today that Faces will try and find faces in crowds like concerts and those at WDW. Let me know how that goes.

2. Paul

Paul Member

spooky....can I opt out?

3. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Sure, just don't turn on Faces. ; I am still not convinced I need it. ; Places looks much more useful to me. ;

4. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

The faces feature in Picasa will pick out faces in crowds. ; I am always having to tell it to ignore strangers in pictures

5. BorisMD

BorisMD Member

Okay, I think I'm starting to like this RAW thing!

I had a couple shots in my library that were in RAW, so I started fooling around in Aperture 3. ; I must say, it's amazing how nicely adjustable everything is!

Here's a couple shots I post processed with A3:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you could see the originals, you'd really see how well this works.

I now will probably have to get a larger hard drive.

Regards,

Boris

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  6. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Welcome to the digital darkroom era Boris.
    :)

7. BorisMD

BorisMD Member

Oh yeah, and I haven't even begun to play with the brushes and the burning and dodging tools!

Now, for anyone who uses Aperture, I have a question about library storage.

Here's what I did when I first installed A3:

It asked where I wanted to keep my library, and I just said with the iPhoto library.

Now, I have an iPhoto library of around 100 gigs, and an A3 library of around 25 gigs. ; Yet, all of my images from iPhoto are in A3.

So, what I'm not understanding is how the image workflow works.

When I plug in my card reader, iPhoto opens and imports. ; Then, I can open the images and edit in A3, but they are then kept in a separate library for A3. ; Does this make sense?

I think it would be easier if I had never used iPhoto, and was just starting from scratch with A3.

Thanks,

Boris

8. Roger

I think if you want to migrate fully from iPhoto to A3, you can change the settings so it will just import into A3 instead.....

9. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I've read a lot about Aperture 3 crashes. ; It took a 2.1 update from Apple to get Aperture 2 to get really stable. ; Anyway, Scott Bourne posted something that might help if you are experiencing crashes after updating (this won't help if you did a new install): Stabilizing Aperture 3.0

10. Paul

Paul Member

Heard some good things about the brushes in Aperture 3, might have to check out the trial

11. Roger

I actually haven't had any crashes, I'm just considering turning faces completely off, it seems to really drag performance down on import.

Otherwise in mid-July when I'm back from DL, it'll probably take a week to download all my images :)

12. Paul

Paul Member

Roger, you need to conform to Apple's wishes and purchase a new Mac to go along with that new software ; ;D

13. Roger

My two year old iMac is running quite fine other than that! ; I know that they did double the memory capacity in the current generation however....

14. Roger

Nik updates:

General Product FAQ’s

Are Nik Software products compatible with Aperture 3?

We are continuing to evaluate support for Aperture 3. Initial tests have uncovered some issues that we are currently working with Apple to resolve.

The following products are currently not fully compatible with Aperture 3:
    Color Efex Pro 3.0
    Viveza 2
    Silver Efex Pro
    Sharpener Pro 3.0

Dfine 2.0 appears to be working in Aperture 3 running in 32-bit mode without issue, however we are working with Apple to perform additional compatibility tests.

We will provide updates to all registered customers as soon as additional information is possible.

15. Roger

16. Paul

Paul Member

that was quick

17. BorisMD

BorisMD Member

Unfortunately, I can't get it to update my trial version.

Boris

18. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

19. BorisMD

BorisMD Member

Thanks Scott!

I also am going to bookmark that website. ; Great stuff, but one more time bandit in my life.

Regards,

Boris

20. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member