Sunsets from the Contemporary Roof

Discussion in 'WDW Resorts / Downtown / Rest of WDW' started by zackiedawg, Mar 25, 2009.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I'm sure Craig can expand on this theme! ;) Just wanted to share some of my favorite sunset shots taken from the roof of the Contemporary - which is one of the best places in Disney for sunset shots. Many of these are from 2-6 years old, and I didn't have them in my gallery anymore, so they are sort of 'new' here (other than occasional use in the elements threads).

I'd love to see anyone else's awesome sunset views from the Contemporary roof (or a high room).

Here are a few faves:

Sun dropping over the Grand Floridian:

[​IMG]

Monorail pulling out of MK station during sunset:

[​IMG]

Monorail scooting under the big orange orb (note how much farther north the sun is setting in different seasons, compared to the sunset over Grand Floridian...this is between GF and MK):

[​IMG]

Wider, darker shot of the whole sky:

[​IMG]

Closeup of the ferry pulling into Magic Kingdom in the golden reflection:

[​IMG]

Share your best Contemporary-view sunsets!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Here a few of my favorites that are online. I may have some more floating around.

[​IMG]

my best sunset yet from the contemporary:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

resort launch:
    [​IMG]

here is an old pano I created using my old kodak p&s:
    [​IMG]

3. Paul

Paul Member

nice shots guys, I hope to get some of those on one of my next trips. Is access to the roof open to anyone? I haven't been to the California Grill in long time, but I remember going out on the deck area.

4. Craig

5. zackiedawg

Very nice additions Craig. I knew you'd have some...I'm sure there are a few more out there.

Certainly shows that there are some 'iconic' shots to get up there - ferry silhouette in golden water, monorail under setting sun, big sky and Bay Lake - that we both share!

I remember that thread all about how to get up there! The method I often use is to just head up to the California Grill bar for a drink, and head outside for the view. I usually have long pants on at the time, since we are often going to dinner soon anyway (Cali Grill has a bit of a dress code during dinner hours...no tshirts and shorts usually)...so I haven't had a problem getting access. But I have used the stairs a few times.

6. Craig

A lot of our shots are the same!! I guess there's only so much you can shoot from up there!

I've never been to the cali grill without a reservation. Can you go the desk on the second floor and just ask to go to the bar? The contemp blocks all the elevators from going to the 15th floor. they hold one elevator just to go from 15 to 2.

7. zackiedawg

I'm not sure if there might be a block during the very busiest hours...but yes, you can go to the 2nd floor desk and just request to hit the bar, and they'll bring you right up. One time, I was actually bold enough to tell the desk I wanted to go out on the roof and they said OK for me, but turned down my friend (I had a button-down shirt and he had a t-shirt - apparently they drew the line somewhere around there).

I like having a drink there anyway, so it's a nice excuse to go enjoy the view and the roof, then give them a little business at the bar.

8. gary

gary Member

now there would be a pixelmania meet, small clandestine groups head for the bar and rendezvous on the roof for a drink and a sunset

9. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Ok, does anyone have a shot of the sunset and the Poly? had to ask. ;)

great shots though, I LOVE them.

10. Paul

Paul Member

gary, I was thinking the same thing, great opportunity for a Pixelmania meet, maybe for some fireworks photos as well.

11. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

No sunrise photos over Bay Lake? Zzzzzzzzzzz ;)

12. zackiedawg

I'm not sure if I've seen a sunRISE over Bay Lake...or Disney for that matter...since I was a kid, and we were on Grandma's schedule. Since I started going up on my own in my late teens, I've been on the Justin schedule...and the Justin schedule doesn't involve being awake with the roosters!

13. Craig

sunrise! I got your sunrise!
    Dina took these while yours truly overslept again!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Very Nice all. Sunsets are my Favorites!!!

15. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Dina's skills are coming along nicely

16. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Yes great sunRISE shots!