stupid question: whitening teeth

Discussion in 'Photography 101' started by Kelly Grannell, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Okay, another stupid question. The stupid thing is because I've done this literally hundreds of times but today I can't remember how to do it. I need to whiten my subject's teeth in photoshop.

What I used to do are tthe following:
    1. select the teeth area manually (don't have to be that accurate)
    2. use a certain tool that gives me multiple colour sliders (but the one with yellow channel)
    3. lower the yellow channel and the teeth turn white.

For the life of me I can't remember the feathering percentage of the selected area, I can't remember which option gives me the 4-colour sliders.

Help please. I think my memory is getting really wonky. :(

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Scott

Scott Member

Are you referring to the "Hue/Saturation" adjustment?

3. barrie

barrie Member

Hi Kelly - I looked it up in Scott Kelby's book. He uses the Hue/Saturation slider. For people that don't have the book:
    1. open photo
    2. press L to choose lasso tool and carefully draw around teeth, careful not to get gums or teeth
    3. under Select menu, choose feather
    4. enter 1 pixel, then OK
    5. under Image menu, then under Adjustments, choose Hue/Saturation
    6. chooose Yellows from the Edit drop-down menu at the top
    7. drag Saturation slider to the left to remove yellow
    8. change Edit drop down menu back to Master
    9. drag Lightness slider to the right to whiten & brighten teeth - not so far as to be obvious
    10. cllick OK and then Contol-D (Command-D on Mac) to see results

I haven't done this before. Now that I typed it I'll remember how to do it myself. Thanks Kelly! Barrie

ps - I love this book! So easy to follow.

4. Thanks guys! It's very similar to what I usually do... and a lot more effective! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!

5. dawholagn

dawholagn Member

That's EXACTLY why this board rules!! ;D

6. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

if you go over to www.atncentral.com and look for a red-eye reducer photoshop action, you will also find that one of them does teeth whitening. actually, i will cheat and give you the link..... http://atncentral.com/Zip_Actions/redeye2.zip (don't worry, it's a free download). it worksl like a champ, i use it all the time and the correction is done on a layer so you can fix it if you make a goof just by switching from black to white on the paintbrush.