Some Safari firsts

Discussion in 'Disney's Animal Kingdom Photos' started by Scottwdw, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Here's a couple of first captures for me on the Kilimanjaro Safari adventure.

Cheetah's were in full view. Usually I see them lying down and not in very photographic poses. Nor do I usually have a 400mm (600mm 35mm equivalent) lens on my camera when I do see them. Still cropped it from the original landscape shot.

[​IMG]

Nikon D70/80-400VR, 1/400s, f/5.6, ISO 1600, EV -0.3, 400mm focal length

I believe this is a White Rhino. While I've gotten photos of them in the past, I like this environmental photo.

[​IMG]

Nikon D70/80-400VR, 1/400s, f/4.5, ISO 560, EV -0.3, 80mm focal length.

A Warthog closeup.

[​IMG]

Nikon D70/80-400VR, 1/400s, f/5.6, ISO 720, EV -0.3, 400mm focal length

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

nice captures, scott.

3. goofy101

goofy101 Member

love the shot of the cheetahs

4. ColleenMarie

ColleenMarie Member

I really like how the Cheetas look like a reflection of each other...

very cool~

5. gary

gary Member

that cheetah shot is better than anything i've ever been able to get of them, like the lions, they are always in lazy mode when i ride safari, laying down, doing nothing at all and interested in nothing

6. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

Great Cheetah capture and that warthog reminds me of a distant relative of mine! ;)

7. Kiki

Kiki Member

How did you do that with that looooooooong lens in a choppy safari truck? Very impressive.

8. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I used Shutter priority mode and set shutter speed to 1/400th of a second and let the camera set ISO and aperture. I didn't try to shoot when the vehicle was moving too fast but I did with the cheetahs and got the one you see here. Most of the moving shots didn't come out and I wouldn't try this again with the lens. The lens worked great on the trails and other animals where I was on solid ground. :)

9. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

that is a fantastic shot of the cheetahs!

10. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Great shots Scott.

11. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thanks Craig and Cooleo! This is the 80-400VR lens that Jeff is currently selling.

12. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Nice shots- that ride is brutal for taking pictures on.