Sensor Cleaning

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by WDWFigment, Mar 1, 2009.

1. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

So for the past couple of weeks, I've noticed a speck in some of my pictures. Well, it turns out that there's something on my sensor, or somewhere within the camera body, that is causing this speck to appear. I know it's not on the lens, as I've tested with multiple lenses, and I get the same result.

I've never cleaned my sensor (and the D40 is not self-cleaning), so I wondered if anyone here could offer advice as to what I should do. I've read a bit about it thanks to google, but I really don't want to risk damaging the camera on some random google advice. Many of you have years of DSLR experience, so I wondered how you have/would address the issue.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I would use a rocket-style air blower during a sensor cleaning cycle and try that first.....while others have used sensor wipes (I think there is two major types that are recommended), I never had to use them before the advent of self-cleaning sensors...

3. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

Success! Thanks, Roger. I used a dryer with the mirror lock up setting and it worked like a charm.

4. Scott

Scott Member

5. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

Ha, well, I guess I screwed up there. Thankfully, it didn't affect anything. I used a low setting and cool air.

6. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Exactly...you basically have gotten lucky! Stick to those rocket-air style blowers, that have filters on the intakes so as not to bombard the sensor with particles all over again. Never give in to the temptation to blow on the sensor with your mouth, and do not use regular air blowing devices. A hair dryer will be blasting all of the dust and particles in the air at your sensor as much as it's blowing air...so it's possible you are inserting more dust into your camera than you are removing. You really should stick with something that filters the air of all particles and such.

Also, while blowing out the camera, it is best to hold the camera with the opening facing down, and blowing up into the camera. That allows any loosened dust or debris to fall away from the sensor and hopefully out of the camera body.

If you do come upon something that is sticking to the sensor and refuses to come off with the blower, you can get a vial of E2 solution and a sensor swab (these are specifically designed for use with delicate camera sensors, and are many times smoother and more safely made than something like a Q-tip...so don't try to cheat and use something else or you could damage the sensor...and make sure the sensor solution you use is the right one for your sensor, as some have coatings that require a specific cleaning solution).

Another item I've found useful is a sensor brush. I use this when the rocket blower doesn't work, and before I resort to wet swabbing. Between the blower and the brush, I can remove specks and dust 99% of the time without having to wet swab. Again, these brushes are super-super fine bristles, and are positively charged to pick up dust with minimal contact...they are kept put away in sealed containers and only taken out to use on the sensor and put away again. I bought a German brush that has been quite good - for only $6...it is also very useful for cleaning the mirror and the viewfinder grid.

7. mSummers

mSummers Member

a dryer? :eek: You really did get lucky. Justin's response pretty much nails it. I use almost the exact same strategy for sensor cleaning. The only thing I would add to the list is a sensor loupe. The loupe allows you to see if there is any dust on the sensor before you start trying to clean it.

Here's a link to Moose Peterson's Blog: http://www.moosenewsblog.com/2009/02/adorama-moose-visibledust-cleaning-kit/ He has assembled a kit of the best sensor cleaning tools out there... it has everything you need in it (blower bulb, sensor brush, cleaning solution, etc.)

8. gary

gary Member

can you buy me a lottery ticket, that's how lucky you just were with your sensor

visible dust , that's sensor cleaning in a nutshell, just go to visibledust.com and buy a kit

i also have a little item called an arctic butterfly, it's a battery powered brush that removes static electricity from itself before use

most people need some encouragement to even think about looking at the sensor cover, you need the right tools and soem more knowledge, courage you got

9. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

Maybe we should just...uh...delete this topic. I don't like being reminded of it each time I log in. Oh well, I guess, live and learn.

10. goofmick

goofmick Member

Hey Fig, don't feel bad, I probably would have done the same thing. Thanks to the site, I now know better.

11. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

I've done some stupid things with my camera until Tim caught me doing it and slapped upside the head. You should've seen how I changed my lenses until Tim set me straight

12. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

I must say that I have blown off my sensor with my mouth many times out of desperation. So far, I've been ok.

I also have used swabs MANY times and it is always ok.

13. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

Just for curiosity's sake, how do you now change your lenses? I'm sure there's a pretty good chance I'm doing that incorrectly, too.

14. Grumpwurst

I used to put the camera in my lap with the lens barrel pointing to the sky. It's twist it off, cap it, then put the new lens on.

Now I hold the lens barrel down (with my 18-200 it's often supported by holding onto it with my inner thighs), then I twist it off. But I have the other lens ready to go and try to quickly make the change with the opening of the camera always pointing down.

I'm very clumsy at it and my wife tries to help with the change up by handing me the new lens uncapped and ready to go and taking the old lens from me so I don't drop it on the ground.

15. mSummers

mSummers Member

That's how I change mine as well... Also its a good idea to minimize the amount of time that you have the lens mount facing up with the caps off to prevent dust from falling into the back of the lens and then falling into the camera once its attached.

16. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Now you know the D300 has a shaker....any dust issues yet?

17. Grumpwurst

No dust issues yet, but I haven't figured out how to engage the "shaker". But, I thought the "shaker" was just for the mirror not necessarily to Dust the sensor

18. Craig

ray, in a menu you can set the shaker to work every time you turn the camera, or off, or both. I have mine set to shake every turn on. but sometimes my camera is on for days at a time.

Also, I always hold the camera pointed down when I turn it on. I dont know if that helps or if is needed, but it seems right to me.

19. Craig

It only vibrates the sensor. Nothing do with the mirror at all

20. Craig

One more thought.

Did you know that you can limit the amount of dust seen by shooting at larger f stops.

I have always been able to see dust in my pics at f22 or so, but by shooting at f8-f11 you can minimize dust seen in a pic.