Sailing Ship Columbia

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort (California)' started by Paul, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Paul

Paul Member

Could take pictures of this all day....

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Did ya sail on that mighty fine vessel?

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

it's an exact replicer ya know.

4. Paul

Paul Member

I certainly did!!

Yesiree, original was built in Norwell, Massachusetts!

5. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Makes me want to head to Disneyland sooner!!!

6. Roger

Yes, I'm so glad they didn't dock her permanently after her little accident.

7. Roger

8. Paul

Paul Member

Accident? ; Do tell Roger. ; Not a collision with a canoe I hope!

9. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

I didn't hear about that one either.

10. Roger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing_Ship_Columbia

Go to the bottom.

During the reign of Emperor Pressler, Attractions was forced to staff with people who hadn't been fully trained. ; As a result of the inadequate training, the CM threw one of the docking cleats ashore while she was still moving (in an attempt to slow the vessel quicker apparently). ; The rope held, but the ship didn't.

It sticks out in my mind because it was the first time that I could think of where someone had suffered a fatal injury through NO fault of their own. ; It wasn't someone climbing out of the Skyway, standing up on the Matterhorn, trying to board Big Thunder while the train was moving, of cleaning the Skyway station beyond the safety line, or having a young kid ride Roger Rabbit when they are barely conscious to begin with....

It was also the first accident that began the path towards Cal-OSHA getting the ability to investigate every accident on property. ; No matter what.[nb]The Roger Rabbit accident was the last straw that led to that. ; And it occured after the Columbia.[/nb]