Reflective Swan & Dolphin

Discussion in 'WDW Resorts / Downtown / Rest of WDW' started by Scottwdw, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Resorts that is.

[​IMG]
    Nikon D70/18-200VR, 30s, f/11, ISO 200, EV +0.3, 18mm focal length, tripod (VR was on as I forgot to turn it off..duh!)

[​IMG]
    Nikon D70/18-200VR, 20s, f/11, ISO 200, EV -0.3, 18mm focal length, tripod

2. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Re: Reflective Swan

Very nice shot Scott! I like this area at night. There is so much to look at, and it is all so pretty.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thanks, PM...added the Dolphin to the OP.

4. You know someone once told me that the builders screwed up and put the Swans on the Dolphin and vice-versa. I hope theyre wrong. But I DO think the painters at Yacht and Beach screwed up. When I think of Beach I think of sand therefore it should be then brown building. When I think Yacht I think water, therefore blue building. Maybe thast just me! I still think the dolphins just look like big fish...and that its funny that sometimes it looks like a giant swan is about to eat Boardwalk!

Okay no more rambling!

5. goofmick

goofmick Member

Nice shots. I've stayed at the Dolphin my past 2 trips and it is a beautiful place.

6. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Mainstreet, the dolphins do look like fish, but as I understand it, they were not made to look like bottlenose dolphins but one of it's cousins. The dolphin family is pretty varied in look.

7. WDWmemories

WDWmemories Member

Very good night-time shots - thanks for sharing!

8. Dan

Dan Member

The dolphin is named after a dolphin FISH. ; An actual fish that is named dolphin. ; At least I'm so informed. ; What I heard (from a cast member leading an Illuminations fireworks cruise) was that they got the fountains backwards. ; I'm referring to the fountains mounted on top of the buildings, supposedly they were themed for the specific mascots but they got them backwards. ; I just can't believe they'd make such a basic error. ; In any case I haven't seen them in a while, I don't really remember what they're like, but it looks from the pictures like the Swan has shell fountains. ; Perhaps it could be argued that shells make more sense for underwater creatures? ; I dunno.

Interesting story on the dolphin fish. ; Way back in the mists of time my family and I were eating at the restaurant in the Living Seas. ; They had dolphin on the menu, and I remember my mom being absolutely horrified until she was informed that it was that dolphin fish.

A quick google search suggests that it may actually be another name for Mahi Mahi. ; I had no idea.

9. goofy101

goofy101 Member

Nice photos really like the reflections on the water

10. gary

gary Member

since i am a lifelong salt water fisherman, let me make this clear, mahi mahi is a fish in the dolphin family, called dolphin in some parts of the world, not the mammal we call a bottlenose dolphin, the one we all love to watch in the bow wave of the cruise ship, who incidentely is a fierce predator of other smaller fishes
    so you are not eating flicker at the restaurant, his distant relative yes, but not flicker
    and yes i too was told somewhere along my personal disney timeline, that an error was indeed made and the statues mounted on the wrong hotels

11. Paul

Paul Member

gary, is that flicker or Flipper? ; I must have watched a different show!

Anyhow, nice shots Scott. ; I like that area a lot for picture taking. ; I also like Shula's Steakhouse!

12. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Caught me a 27-lb Dolphin a few years back - they put up quite a fight! ; We've got loads of them off our coast - lots of people come this way to fish for them. ; We mostly call them mahi-mahi, to avoid any confusion with the porpoise dolphin. ; Beautiful fish - amazing color, and they change color when you catch them and bring them on deck. ; The local fishermen know how to find them - just look for sargasso seaweed islands or debris - they love to hang around those. ; Not my best fight though - that belonged to a near-6-foot wahoo weighing over 100lbs...my arms were burning after fighting that one!

13. gary

gary Member

it was flipper, hey what can i say, i was eating sushi before it was called that, all us bonacker boys grew up knowing as long as you kept the bait fresh you would not starve if fishing was poor that day