Pilot Program - Free Computer/ Internet Access at Contemporary Hotel

Discussion in 'Disney Vacation Planning & Transportation' started by Sheila Gallant-Halloran, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Hi there - not sure where to post this, but this was such an unexpected bonus when we were just at the Contemporary that I had to share.

We were lucky enough to stay on a concierge floor, so I know this set up is on those floors, but the CMs at the front desk and at the concierge told me this was true for all rooms at the hotel right now.

There is a computer in your hotel room with free internet access. ; There is a cable that will allow you to plug in your own laptop and surf the net - they charge $9.95 for a 24 hour period. Should you use the in-room computer (sits on a desk on the side of the bed. I don't mean the TV screen that shows you your room account - this is a standalone computer, albeit there was no CPU visible unless it was in the back of the monitor - or any spot where you could ; plug in CDs, DVDs, floppies ) there is no charge. ; For now. ; But each time I clicked on the "welcome" and internet access icon, I agreed to a 24-hour period for $0.00 charge (you see where this is going very quickly - they're all set up to convert the pilot into a revenue-generating item).

The in-room computer let me check my email remotely, look at my Disney photopass pictures, order merchandise from a shopping website (that I had delivered to my hotel room), and check out news on CNN. ; I didn't scout the horizon too widely, but I was able to load websites such as my company site, fan sites such as Allearsnet and Disboards, and gossip stuff like Perezhilton - yet TMZ was blocked.

As a travel agent, checking my email is key. ; This was a wonderful perk to be able to do it from my hotel room for free. ; I'm not sure why the in-room computer isn't getting more play in the promo stuff (probably because the pilot won't be free for long) but thought you might be interested in this.

2. mini-canadian

mini-canadian Member

When we were at the Contemporary in September, we stayed in the Garden Wing, and had a computer with free access also, it was awesome! ; ; The one little problem I had was the fact that I couldn't get onto my facebook, and of course no MSN either. ; I had hoped ; to be able to as that is a great way for us to communicate with our kids when we are away.

Was able to access everything else though.

3. CameraGirl

CameraGirl Member

Wow, that is a great idea since most people these days have to fill their urge and check the computer somehow. ; I love the thought that you can check out your emails and photopass photos in the comforts of your hotel room. ; I wonder if the Contemporary is the only place to have the free internet access or not.