Nikon SB-600 or SB-800

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Grumpwurst, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

OK.

Somehow the powers of Disney Magic were shining brightly upon us because we moved from 5th on the waiting list to the top for Victoria & Albert's Chef's Table.

Well, I want a Speed Flash for my Nikon D80 so I can take good photographs of the food for the blog review that is invariably going to be written.

I'm looking at the SB-600 and SB-800 but I really cannot decide if the extra $150 is worth the purchase of the SB-800. Any Nikonians here have an opinion on what I should do

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Congratulations Ray!
    I'm looking forward to your blog trip reports. Can't wait.

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

If you are taking pics of food I would go for the 800, it can angle downward.

Unless you just want to rent the dual macro speedlight thingy for it.

4. Grumpwurst

That sounds highly technical...LOL. What "thingy" would that be?

5. Roger

6. Grumpwurst

That looks like the flash device you'd see on the Nikons used on the CSI TV show

7. Roger

Yes it does.

FWIW I am going through the same ?; however, my mind is basically already going to the 800.

8. Grumpwurst

Tim's advice was to just get the SB-800 if I could afford it, but at a price over $300, I really need to be sure that is an investment that'll be put to use. I'm trying to think where I'll use a flash besides my little dinner at Victoria & Alberts....LOL

9. mPower

mPower Member

You might want to look at a SB-400 too...We have two SB-800s and enjoy being able to 'play' with the wireless features, but for a small walk around on an already big camera (D300 with grip) the SB-400 is NICE!

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/sb400.htm

10. Craig

Ray I LOVE my sb400, but I didnt want to muddy your original question!

*edit- and fwiw, I have been playing with photographing food too. I've been practising at home getting ready to take food pics at the wave, and the sb400 is too powerul at that range!
    I have been using 1/200th shutter speed at f11 and iso100 trying to get the flash not so bright! I dont want to bounce the flash too much with the camera pointed down at food because that could be very "not nice" for others at the table with a flash going off in their face.
    However, I do know that the sb-400 is not at all powerful enough to close up on the food and bounce off ceiling at a restaurant!

11. Roger

I wouldn't want to bounce at V&A.

12. Grumpwurst

Actually, when we ate in the main dining room in 2006, our waitress told us about bounce flashing because they had many customers who did it.

This meal is at the Chef's Table. That means we are in the kitchen. Different rules apply. For example, we'll be able to take our jacket off, talk in a normal tone of voice, and interact with the kitchen staff :)

13. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

With either SB-600 or 800 you can put them in manual and lower the power. Not sure if you can do that with the SB-400. With the flash in the shoe or use the built in wireless or CLS (creative light system) mode to put it off camera. I have the SB-600 which works great but I miss the extra power of the SB-800 when I need it. In fact, I am renting an SB-800 for a wedding I am shooting next month.

If you can afford it, get the SB-800 if not the SB-600 is fine for what you want to do. BTW, bounce away or get a dome (the SB-800 comes with a dome attachment) to even out the light. Oh, and don't forget to check out Strobist.com for ideas on how to use the one you decide to get.

14. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

^Does anyone know if you can manually dial down the flash on the SB-400?

15. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

not sure but that seems like a pretty standard feature.

16. Roger

Not on the flash, but it would be from the camera. Apparently only the D40 can control this flash in manual mode.

17. Craig

Not directly. It has no buttons on it . But, you can adjust it through the camera body just like the onboard flash. When it is on your camera and turned on, the camera only recognizes the sb400.
    Basically, the 400 is nothing more than a "bigger" on board flash.

18. Roger

Except that it can bounce up.

19. Craig

yep, that's true!
    And again, this August it spent the entire trip a lot of time when it wasn't raining on the camera. Because it is so small, it is no problem to just leave it on.

20. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Here's some good information about this flash: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/sb400.htm

I believe you dial down this flash using your camera's flash control. Which Nikon do you own?

Duh...looks like Craig already answered ya. ::)