Nikon officially announces the 85/1.4G, 28-300VR (FX), 24-120 f/4 VR, and....

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Roger, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

One more! ; The 55-300 DX VR lens.

And also a new entry level D3100 with 1080HD video.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-10054-10866

Amazon pre-order prices:

85/1.4G: ; $1649
    55-300 DX VR: $399
    24-120 f/4 VR: $1299
    28-300 VR (FX): $1049

And since the last one is the most anticipated (although the 24-120 was needed to match Canon's 24-105):

Weight: 800g
    Dimensions: 83x114.5mm

For comparison:

Nikon 18-200 DX VR weighs 560g, and is 77x96.5mm. ; So it's about 1 inch longer, weighs about 50% more, and only slightly more wide.

Canon 28-300L IS weighs 1670g, and is 92x184mm. ;
    Canon's out of production 28-200 with no IS weighed 500g, and was 78.4x89.6mm - which is very close to the current Nikon 18-200DX VR.

2. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Pre-ordered my 28-300VR this morning. ; :)

3. Roger

Congrats Scott. ; The last two lenses on the list are probably the most wanted from Nikon. ; I know the 85/1.4 was wanted as well, but everything was pointing towards their patent for one with VR onboard.....but now it only leaves the 35/1.4 and 50/1.2 refreshes to complete the lens lineup.

4. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Not so fast my friend. ; There is still the rumored update to the 80-400VR to AF-S and VR II "sometime" in the future. ; Or it may emerge as a 100-500VR to compete with Sigma.

Liking the specs on the 28-300VR. ; It would certainly lighten my travel kit so that I could skip a larger bag. ; I hope it becomes available before my trip to North Dakota in late September. ; Should have it for the late October WDW trip.

Get this, put this bad boy on a DX camera for a range of 42-450mm at f/3.5 to f/5.6. I think everyone forgot about that aspect of the lens.

5. Roger

An Amazon.com site that reviews cameras, has their own forums, and is based in the UK states that it will be available 9/2.

And okay, I forgot about the 80-400. ; Probably because it actually exists, just not with a USM/AFS/SSM motor. ; Nikon never had a lens like Canon's 28-105 F/4 IS until now. ; And they had stopped production on their old FX superzoom years ago.

I really don't see Nikon being able to go past 400 and stay at 5.6. ; All the third party lenses that zoom to 500mm end up at f/6.3, which is a problem as many of the new cameras will refuse to autofocus beyond 5.6. ; So the third party lenses have to fake something in the camera connection to trick the camera so it will AF.

6. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

While I'd love, love, love to have the VR at the 300 end, I still use the widest end of my 18-200VR a lot so that new lens wouldn't serve me as a walking around lens since it would start at 28mm (not taking into account the DX sensor crop factor).

Now with kids, I'm finding my lens isn't wide enough...haha

7. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

or long enough. ; If that had been an 18-300VR lens instead of 28-300, I might've been looking in the seat cushions for $1000 to snatch it up

8. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

No worries, just didn't want a lens in need of a refresh to be forgotten. ; I hope that UK forum is correct. Wonder if they have enough of them ready to go so it doesn't get back ordered before getting to me. ; :)

9. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I was wishing for a 24-300VR but I'll take what I can get.

10. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Bigma 50-500 OS's for everyone!

11. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

28-300 vr lens sounds awesome!
    nice step in the right direction to make full frame mainstream.

12. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

All right! ; Tim's buying! ; :D

13. scpergj

scpergj Member

I NEED that 85/1.4...

OK, maybe NEED is a bit strong, but I really, really want it. ; SWMBO says no way...unless we win the Lottery. ; Of course, if I finally get my backside in gear and start working on my masters degree, I could just make more money and go buy the durn thing...!!!

14. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Soon as TMIP goes public and the IPO goes thru the roof. ; Yup.

15. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

16. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

At least we got it in writing. ; ;D

17. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

This is a link to a Nikon employee's flickr photostream who has photos from each of the new lenses. ; He created a set for each to them on the right hand side.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10234786@N06/

No Exif data though. ; Just the camera used and lens.

18. Roger

Bob Krist used the 28-300. ; He loved it. ; Called it 'sharp' at 300. ; And he said his new travel bag was the 16-35 and the 28-300.

19. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I am done with lens purchases for awhile. ; Will use the Tokina as a 15-16mm on the D700 as my wide angle lens for awhile though the 16-35 f/4 now goes on my Wishlist. ; :)

20. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

I have been thinking about getting a 70-300vr for a while now- kind of interesting that the 28-300vr is physically smaller than that (although it is heavier.) ; Kind of has me thinking about it a little bit. ; Although my kit already has 28 and 50mm covered with 1.4 primes so not sure if I want to spend the extra $$$ just for the convenience of a slow/wide-normal/vr zoom. ; I think I can live without the 28-70 range given the price difference (especially considering used 70-300's are in abundance.)