Merry Christmas from the Wilderness Lodge Lobby

Discussion in 'WDW Resorts / Downtown / Rest of WDW' started by Paul, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Paul

Paul Member

This did not come out as nice as I hoped, but I wanted to share since I really like the lobby of the Wilderness Lodge. I should have taken some photos from the opposite side, I just did not think of it. Better luck next year

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

very nice! bump up the shadows a tiny bit in photoshop and you might be on to something.

3. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I like it. Nice shot!

4. Good job! Youre right this is a difficult tree to shoot - especially when its so tempting to create symmetry with the four lights. Heres one of my best shots

[​IMG]

Heres one with 3 of the 4
    [​IMG]

Here is my favorite one though

[​IMG]

5. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

That lobby is just screaming for the 14-24....

6. Yeah it is!

As you can see 18mm wasnt cutting it!

7. Paul

Paul Member

Here is another version. I bumped up the shadows a bit as Tim suggested; had to apply quite a bit of noise reduction.

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

8. gary

gary Member

nicely done paul, see the initial exposure is still the starting point, just as it was in ansel's day, and to those anti-digital this is not how the master would do it's, i say read his books, if ansel adams was alive today, i truly believe he'd be neck deep in digital and photoshop, and probably wildly excited about the creative possibilities

9. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Paul, I think the best reason to shoot RAW is for the shadow recovery with less noise. Granted, the major manufacturers have now come out with extended dynamic range modes that do basically the same thing in camera for JPGs. Canon's first generation was called Highlight Tone Priority, not sure what it changed into, and Nikon's is called Active D-Lighting. Fuji already has the Super-CCD with two kinds of sensors on the chip, so that's why they have the largest dynamic range of any current camera.

10. WDWmemories

WDWmemories Member

Wow - big difference in the before vs. after with Photoshop shadows.
    Great picture and great tips - thanks for sharing!

11. mSummers

mSummers Member

That's one of the best shots of the lobby that I've seen. Nice work Paul!

12. Paul

Paul Member

Thanks. I will definitely plan to revisit that lobby now that I have the tripod. Still a tricky shot with the way the lighting comes in from outside. Perhaps a nighttime shot will be in order.