Merry Christmas from the Animal Kingdom Lodge

Discussion in 'WDW Resorts / Downtown / Rest of WDW' started by Grumpwurst, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Here is a picture I took of the Christmas Tree in the lobby of the Harkness Hideaway (aka The Animal Kingdom Lodge). I was standing on the end of the lobby where the giant window overlooking the savannah is located

I am really proud of this one. I did some tweaking in Picasa 3 to try and get it to pop better and I know someone with better post-processing talent in a "real" program can probably make it look even better. But I'm posting the before and after shots here

Here is the after
    [attachment=1]

Here is the before
    [attachment=2]

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Paul

Paul Member

Very nice Ray, you 're tweaking definitely improved it.

3. Grumpwurst

Thanks Paul!

I really think there is more that could be done to improve it. Picasa only really lets you tweak white balance, highlights, shadows, and fill light

4. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Looks good to me, Ray. The AKL sure is one beautiful resort.

5. Paul

Paul Member

Sometimes just a tweak is all it needs. Sometimes I feel I over do it at times with the adjustments. That said, I have been using Adobe Lightroom for awhile now and like it a great deal. It includes noise reduction which helps out quite a bit on some of the higher ISO shots that I took at Mousefest.

6. Grumpwurst

Thanks Scott.

I'm constantly amazed at what I'm finding came out of my new Nikon D300. I'm not sure if it's the professional-grade body or the 18-200 VR lens or both

7. Grumpwurst

If you were to view the original 12mp RAW file there is A LOT of noise because the AUTO ISO feature cranked it to ISO 2500. I'm still a n00b when it comes to post processing. I'm finally liking stuff coming out of my camera.

8. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

that's really all you need, most times. nice job.

9. Grumpwurst

Thanks Tim!

This is one of the photos I've come across that I'm most proud of. I have a couple others of Space Ship Earth I hope to throw up later. It's just a pain to have to shrink my pictures down so they meet the 500k size limitations...haha

10. Tim

if you're using photoshop, the save for web works awesome... alt+ctrl+shft+S and follow the dialog boxes. 80% is plenty good enough.

11. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

Very nice!

12. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice work Ray! Glad you like the new camera

13. Grumpwurst

To say I like it would be an understatement. As I'm going through my pictures for my trip report, I'm finding that I'm loving this camera

14. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

That's a great one Ray! I too am glad the new camera is working so well!!!

15. Grumpwurst

You and Roger got me excited about it. I was shooting better than I ever had immediately. I'm trying to see if I have any other TMIP worthy pictures

16. Tim

i know the feeling. i cannot wait to unleash the Mark2 at WDW...

17. gary

gary Member

tim, are you compensating again??