Help me pick a deluxe

Discussion in 'Disney Vacation Planning & Transportation' started by amw, Oct 30, 2008.

1. amw

amw Member

So, I've got a PIN and want to use it .... If it was just me and the girls, we would just stay value. But, my DH wants to come so I'm looking at deluxe.

He doesn't want to go to the parks that much. He wants to be able to just hang around the resort and relax ... while mama runs around the world with the girls.

We're looking at the first week of February. Here are my thoughts:

In an ideal world, I would love to stay at the Beach Club. My DD8 loves to swim and the DD6 would love the beach. They both love EPCOT, and there would be plenty to occupy my hubbie. Proximity to restaurants and parks excellent. However, Stormalong Bay is under rehab during that time. (This would affect the Yacht too)

Next, I like the theming of AKL. However, all the animals will be off display during that time. Is it worthwhile being in the middle of nowhere with no animals?

The theming of the Contemporary doesn't appeal to me.

So what would be the best choice? I've visited the Poly and it didn't feel all that "deluxe" to me. (My husband travels a lot and we stay places on points ... only ever experienced condos in Orlando.) What is the best place to keep a non-Disney fan happy? ... while the rest of us ditch him ; ;D

2. Miss Megara

Miss Megara Member

The Polynesian is my personal favourite deluxe, followed VERY closely by the Boardwalk. ; I also love The Wilderness Lodge.

I love Animal Kingdom, but the problem is it's too far from everything.

IMHO Stormalong Bay is overrated and the Beach Club is missing a decent counter service restaurant.

That all being said; I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. ; ;D

3. CameraGirl

CameraGirl Member

I haven't really stayed at the deluxe resorts, but we have explored them for sure. ; I would say Miss Megara has definitely got three great choices. ; Animal Kingdom Lodge seems to be very popular. ; The Polynesian was quite nice, close to Magic Kingdom and very well themed. ; Then I don't think you could go wrong with the Boardwalk, it is very elegant and just so close to Epcot (like a 5 minute walk). ; And I love the atmosphere at the boardwalk itself. ; Very relaxing and enjoyable.

4. Sean&Karen

Sean&Karen Guest

Boardwalk or Animal kingdom lodge ..

With boardwalk you are very close to epcot and there are always nice things to do on the boardwalk .. they have street people preforming tricks and shows on the boardwalk at night and even some carnival games ... plus ESPN has GREAT food.. There is spoodles if you and your husband want to get away for a fun night…

I have never heard anything bad about AKL.. I hear the food is very good and the theme and details in the hotel are outstanding…

Something you might want to do is split your stay up …. Stay ½ the time at Boardwalk and the other ½ at AKL

5. realfam

realfam Member

We love the AKL!!! ; We stayed there in August and cannot wait for our return visit at the end of Jan. ; Get a savanagh view if you can. ; You love it there and there is plenty of activities going on for your kids too.

6. scratch

scratch Member

Grand Floridian!

That way you have the ease of getting to MK and he has the ease of getting to Epcot!

FYI, the pool will be down only in sections, not the whole pool at one time. ; If you could find out which section of Stormalong will be closed, then you could make your decision. ; I love the Beach Club!

7. amw

amw Member

Hubbie decided on the Poly ... just waiting back to hear if we can get it (fingers-crossed). You don't know how stressing this is for me - I usually book and plan a year ahead of time. It's three months away and I don't have any ADRs! ; :eek:

Won't complain though. I've never stayed Disney and this is quite the way to start. DH teases that we got the PIN because we booked last year and then pulled out - they just reeled us back in! ; ;D ;

8. Miss Megara

Miss Megara Member

Clearly *somebody* doesn't check her emails because YOU GOT THE POLY!!!! ; :D

The Poly is my personal fav...you're gonna LOVE it!!!

Not to worry about ADR's, WDW is wiiiiiide open for restaurants on the dates you are going. ; :)

9. amw

amw Member

Woo Hoo! There's no dancing icon here ... work on that Sean! ; ;)

I'm glad you posted that Miss Megara ... of all days my e-mail decided to put you in Spam! You weren't Spam yesterday - got to love Rogers! Talk to you soon!

10. amw

amw Member

;D Check out the new ticker ; ;D

11. Miss Megara

Miss Megara Member

lol...WOOHOO!!!

12. scratch

scratch Member

Make sure you have a Lapu Lapu!

13. Ham Ham

Ham Ham Member

Nice choice.

14. realfam

realfam Member

Very nice..... ; book the Spirit of Aloha show. ; Its excellent!!!!

15. I'm sure you'll love the Poly - have fun! ;

My personal favourite deluxe, though, is the Grand Floridian. ; It's wonderful for adults and kids - fantastic restaurants, and character meals in the same spot - plus fantastic layout, wonderful pool, and just a wonderful ambiance. ; Check it out when you're there - I'm sure you'll love it.

16. mini-canadian

mini-canadian Member

Hope you have a great time at the Poly!!!

17. Miss Megara

Miss Megara Member

Funny, the Grand Floridian use to be my favourite and was since the first time I stayed there, which was the year it opened. ; I even honeymooned there and each and every visit was a fabulous one.

However, I was there as recently as May and as a result of what happened, will not return ever again. ; I won't get into it, because I like to keep my bloodpressue down ;D but one day I'll be writing Disney a nice, long letter about my 2 week horrible experience there and when I do, I'll post a copy of it here. ; :D

18. Oh, that's too bad Miss Meagra. ; I personally have always had a fantastic time at the Grand Floridian - and I've stayed at a regular room, as well as concierge. ; Every visit, if we're not staying at GF (it's a family thing - hubby and DD9 prefer Contemporary for walking, so we've been alternating), we always go for a visit, walk around, have pictures done, eat there, etc. - it's my favourite spot at WDW. ;

19. Miss Megara

Miss Megara Member

Yeah - I must say - I was a tad upset that it ruined the GF for us, as until then it was indeed a personal favourite. ; :-\

20. Years ago (before kids and proximity to MK became key), hubby and I stayed at the Dolphin - over-the-top theming, and not OFFICIAL WDW property (besides the differences that everyone knows - my uncle who is a CM at AK has told me stories about how it is really not embraced as part of the true Disney family - and locals consider the Dolphin and the Swan an eyesore) - however, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, and loved taking the quick boat ride around.