Grand Floridian...W I D E

Discussion in 'WDW Resorts / Downtown / Rest of WDW' started by zackiedawg, Oct 1, 2009.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Some shots a few weeks ago from my resort hotel tour afternoon with my 10-24 wide angle lens. ; It's particularly handy to have a UWA at the resorts, to take in those soaring lobbies or shoot in narrow halls!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is an empty Citrico's:

[​IMG]

And the lobby area outside of Citrico's:

[​IMG]

Monorail station:

[​IMG]

2. Ive GOT to get me one of these!

3. Paul

Paul Member

Very nice Justin. ; I also should add a wide lens to my kit

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i have the canon 17-40L that gathers dust inside of my bag. ; i really need to break that out once in awhile. ;

5. gary

gary Member

don't worry tim, i'll be sharing that 14mm 2.8 at pixelmania, that'll give you a case of L frenzy

6. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

oh heck yeah!

7. mSummers

mSummers Member

nice work Justin! ; I can't wait to try out the 14-24 next time I'm down there...

8. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Yes, it's very nice at the parks....didn't take it off much when I had it.

9. zackiedawg

Definitely do...maybe we'll have a side-photo walk for some wide shooting for anyone who's got something under 20mm (35mm equiv). ; Not official on the clock, of course...don't want to be exclusionary! ; It really is such a different way of shooting - it's almost like relearning photography and technique. ; You're just sooooo close to the subject and metering is much more challenging when basically the entire WORLD is in your frame. ; :)

Thanks for the comments - it was lots of fun to shoot with this lens at Disney and more than justified the purchase for me.

10. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Member

Justin, those are some VERY cool shots. :)

Along with "Perfect Panoramics", I also want to take "Wonderful Wide-Angles"....so, once I decide on the camera (leaning towards Nikon D40 ... hey, I'm a beginner...cut me some slack ;) ) I'll have to see which equipment is best for me to get these type of pictures.

Thanks for sharing!

11. Justin, what did you use for these? ; The Tamron 14-24? Ive been looking at the Sigma 10-20.

12. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

13. zackiedawg

Thanks ArnyVee. ; Wide angle is definitely fun!

mainstreet - this was with the Tamron SP AF10-24mm F3.5-4.5 DI II LD Aspherica. ; I was shopping for a $400-500ish UWA, and was down to the Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 or the Tamron. ; Both are good solid lenses. ; The Tokina 12-24 F2.8 receives a good share of acclaim, but wasn't available in my mount. ; Almost everyone on the photo boards recommended the Sigma 10-20, which had me just about ready to go that way...but the funniest thing is that everyone recommending the Sigma had never even touched the Tamron...it's only been out a few months while the Sigma's been on the ground for a while. ; So before pulling the trigger, I thought it best to try them both out. ; I fortunately had a friend with the Sigma, and got to try a variety of test shots. ; I then ordered the Tamron with a return policy so I could try it out and return it if I found the Sigma better. ; I went to the same test areas, and took the same shots with the Tammy, then compared the two.

The Sigma is slightly better in corner sharpness at 10-15mm with open apertures, and is overall a touch sharper at 17-20mm. ; However, the Tamron had better center sharpness at 10-15mm throughout the aperture range, and once stopped down to F6.3 or so the corner sharpness was about equal. ; And the Tamron had better distortion control to my eye (both are excellent at rendering horizontal and vertical lines, but the Sigma's horizon lines are straight right to the ends of the frame, then distort downwards strangely...the Tamron had a much straighter horizon line across the frame with just very slight curve on the end thirds - more easily correctable in post than the Sigma. ; Also, the Sigma was much more prone to flare even with the lens hood.

In the end, I decided on the Tamron, since the main purpose of the lens was going to be for the 10-14mm wide end, and that is precisely where it held most of the advantage over the Sigma. ; The Sigma was the better lens for the 17-20mm range, but I didn't intend to use that end very often...plus the extra 4mm on the Tamron could come in handy for those rare times I do need it.

I own both Sigma and Tamron lenses - both seem to me equal in build quality and glass quality - so I'd have no problems recommending either of them.

14. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Great shots Justin! ; It makes me reconsider my thought that I would never want a wide angle lens. ; I think that after seeing yours and all the others wide shots, I want one now too. ; The closest I get at the moment is my 18-55 that came with the camera.

15. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

awesome shots Justin!
    It is a great afternoon, to ride the monorail around those resorts armed with the wide-angle! Plenty of A/C, cold drinks, and no lines!

16. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Count me in! ; I just picked up the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 and need to spend some quality time with it at PixelMania.

17. Thanks Justin for the advice!

18. Justin,

If you ever have a few free moments, would you mind posting a few of your test shots?

19. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Welcome to the club, Dennis! ; :)

20. Never mind, I took the plunge and went for the Tamron 10-24! Grand Floridian Christmas Tree (and Gingerbread House) here I come!