Dawn Patrol Rendesvous

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by ddindy, Jul 27, 2022.

1. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

In 2014 and 2018 the National Museum of the United States Air Force hosted the Dawn Patrol Rendezvous. The air show was a gathering of replica airplanes and re-enactors to mark the centennials of the beginning (1914) and end (1918) of World War One. I was able to attend both of those shows and will be posting those photos here.

There's another Rendezvous scheduled for October 7 and 8, 2022. If you're within driving distance of Dayton, Ohio, it's worth the trip to this unique event. And if you can't make the show, the museum is worth a visit. Just be aware that it will probably take at least two days to see everything in the expansive museum.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
    mSummers likes this.
  2. ddindy

Here's a shot from the 2018 Dawn Patrol Rendezvous. The airplane is the famous German Fokker Dr. I triplane (or Dreidecker in German). It is most remembered as the plane that the Red Baron flew towards the end of the war. Interestingly, the design was inspired by the British Sopwith triplane.

The soldier standnig guard looks like he was ordered to never leave his post in 1918 when the plane was parked after its last flight.

[​IMG]
    Old Soldiers Never Die

jbwolffiv likes this.
  3. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately I’m probably cutting brush at Western Maryland Scenic Railroad that weekend.

4. ddindy

And I'm putting on a slide show for a local railfan club. Poor timing for both of us.

5. ddindy

Here's a replica of a Nieuport 12 flying the airshow loop. How do I know what type of plane it is? I looked up the registration number.

[​IMG]
    Nieuport 12 On Patrol

mSummers likes this.
  6. ddindy

Can someone become an ace if he's not actually a pilot? Since this guy is a mannequin, he probably doesn't qualify anyway.

[​IMG]
    He's Got You In His Sights