DAK - Abstract 04.26.08

Discussion in 'Disney's Animal Kingdom Photos' started by Kiki, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Kiki

Kiki Member

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

and another fantastic series, kiki. keep it up.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

WOW. these are great. thanks for sharing!

4. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

My favorite is the first pic on everest the framing is excellent.

5. Dan

Dan Member

It's just.... this is like being cluster bombed with awesome.

I'm really enjoying the abstract treatment. I've gotten so into it that when one of these series starts with less abstract images I start getting disappointed. I hope you understand what I mean, it's not that the pictures are bad, but I've started looking forwards to the abstracts. I keep scrolling, thinking "come on, bring on the elements of Disney architecture used in new unusual ways".

This is a technique I'm going to have to see if I can use in DC. There must be some curves and shapes in the aircraft at the Air and Space museum that can be used in interesting ways.

6. Kiki

Kiki Member

I have so many abstracts! I didn't think you guys would really like that sort of thing judging by the beautiful vistas that everybody else shoots.

Might have to load up some more soon...

7. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

First, I'm jealous. Second, remember, no tripods or flashes allowed.

8. mSummers

mSummers Member

neither are really necessary... both buildings, especially the new one has pretty good lighting.

Here's three from my last visit... I think they were shot on Kodak Gold 200

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Roger

Is the Enola Gay out on display yet? Never made it to the new one.

10. Dan

Dan Member

According to their website, the Enola Gay is on display at the Udvar Hazy Center (the new building located near Dulles). I've been there once before, to the new one I mean, but don't recall if it was out then. I was kind of rushed, I didn't get near enough time there. So this next time I'm going to try to do it right.

There's so many legendary aircraft in there that it's mind boggling. I just found out that they've got the Global Flyer, the plane that Steve Fosset (now declared legally dead after going missing on a routine flight) flew around the world non stop three different times and set three different records in. There's a beautiful symmetry in that the Udvar Hazy center has the Global Flyer, and the main Air and Space building has the Voyager, which held the records before Global Flyer took them. Both buildings have a large, graceful, beautiful Rutan (Burt Rutan, the guy that designed both of them). I just love that, no matter which one I go to I get one of his signature pod and boom designs, either the classic 1980s model or the modern Y2K flavor.

11. mSummers

mSummers Member

Yep, she's there

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Roger

Cool.

I was able to visit their rehab facility in Prince George's County in the 80s (Seat Pleasant?) but I think the Enola Gay was still in storage prior to rehab. But the new facility reminds me of the Air Force Museum at Wright-Pat. Except they've got a B-36 (big big plane, 6 prop engines and 4 jet engines). And they were the first with one of the SR-71s. Last time I went you could awfully close to the planes in the hangars, not up on a walkway.

13. Roger

14. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

So many great shots! Thanks for continuing to share. I especially like the yawning tiger and the close up on the monkey habitat.