Campsite hidden in the gorilla exhibit (1 img)

Discussion in 'Disney's Animal Kingdom Photos' started by zackiedawg, Dec 17, 2007.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

While on the TMIP safari in the Pangani trails at Animal Kingdom, someone mentioned the hidden campsite up on the hill at the back of the gorilla exhibit. It disguises a security camera. One of the objects in the campsite appeared to be a backpack, so naturally all of the curious TMIP folks wanted to see if there might be a hidden Mickey up there. We all tried zooming in on the backpack, but couldn't get close enough to read the letters.

I knew I had alot of zoom, and by lowering my MP from 8 to 3, I could add 'smart zoom' capability rather than digital zoom, retaining respectable image quality and boosting my 12x camera to 18x. That makes for 642mm optical, which when combined with my 1.7x tele extender, yields 1091mm optical zoom. I took a shot at this setting, viewed at 100%, and cropped out an 800x600 section of the shot (the cropping was about 60%). With a little sharpening...FINALLY...I could read what was on the backpack!:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, it wasn't a hidden Mickey or Disney thing. But there is at least some irony with the 'communities' and '25' on the pack!

So I thought I'd share it with everyone, in case you ever wondered - or in case you want to try to get sharper or closer yourself next time you're there!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Thanks Justin!

I was the one who pointed it out to Tim and asked if his bigger lens could make the reach. My wife and I had discovered it when we were at the Animal Kingdom in September and my camera couldn't reach

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Nice job justin... that backpack is VERY far away. thx for sharing.