Animal Kingdom Lodge

Discussion in 'WDW Resorts / Downtown / Rest of WDW' started by zackiedawg, Jan 2, 2008.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Here's a little look around the Animal Kingdom Lodge, taken this past December during Mousefest.

The lobby of the AK Lodge, taken from the back doors looking forward, with the Christmas tree on display:

[​IMG]

Looking out the back windows, the outdoor landscaping really combines well with the architecture to make it feel like you are in a lodge in the middle of Kenya:

[​IMG]

From the back viewing paths, through the trees and rock landscaping, here's a peek back to the hotel:

[​IMG]

Looking down into Victoria Falls bar, between the lobby and restaurants (you enter the hotel on the 3rd floor). The rail above to the left is on the lobby level, and the rail to the right from the bar looks down into Boma restaurant:

[​IMG]

And an older pic of Jiko restaurant...the best restaurant in Disney World IMHO:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

these are great Justin. now you've got me craving my lamb shanks at Jiko with an ice cold Tusker beer. (before Dinsey stopped carrying tusker)
    It's 5:15, I can get to Jiko before they close! ;)

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

MUST... HAVE... BOMA!

4. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

MMMMMMMMMM I wish I was closer then a thousand miles away. Boma is screaming my name! Craig that meal suggestion sounds great! Too bad on the No Tusker though. :(

5. zackiedawg

I know I'll be hitting Jiko in less than a month - it's my family trip coming up at the end of January, and my mother wouldn't miss going there any more than I would...the other relatives wouldn't go on their own, but with 'moneybags' picking up the bill, they'll order appetizers, wine, and dessert! (moneybags is me...and I don't have bags of money...but I stupidly always offer to pick up the tab for everyone so my 'po' relatives can enjoy themselves. Disney Visa's Rewards card comes to the rescue!!).

Maybe we'll hit Boma too!

6. Dan

Dan Member

I learned a trick at Jiko. This probably won't apply to anyone else, but I still want to share it. I love spicy food. In general very few restaurants will make food as spicy as I'd like it, my tolerance is at the level where I wouldn't be entirely surprised if some places would fear lawsuits if they served what I want to the unwary. Not that it's THAT bad, but we live in a litigious society and.. well.. anyway..

I'd asked them to make things spicy at Jiko before, but when I ate there over Mousefest I asked again and our server offered to bring my a side of Sambal sauce. I happily accepted and dipped some of my meal (the Curry shrimp, they recently changed it to make it more spicy like it was the first time I tried it, it still wasn't as spicy though) into it. It was really good, not the hottest thing I'd ever tried but still quite powerful yet also it had a nice flavor. Boma serves a Sambal sauce with the carved meat that's actually more of a pulp, it's not really a sauce at all. But at Jiko it's a thick red sauce that's just wonderful (to me), I'm going to be on the look out to see if I can find anything like that in a bottle from now on.

I'll be asking for more Sambal on the side whenever I eat there again. It was probably the hottest (spice wise) thing I'd ever had in Disney World, and to me that's a very good thing. The original shrimp curry that I had used to be the spiciest thing, but then they toned it down. I'm pleased to have found a worthy successor. Ideally I'd prefer it was a whole dish that the flavor was designed for, but this way I can use it on anything. They have more dishes I've never tried that I'll bet will go nicely with the Sambal.

Dan

7. zackiedawg

Thanks for the tip. I'll be ordering a side of sambal later this month when I'm up there!

8. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

Nice pictures. I like DAKL a lot but wasn't really able to get any good pictures of it in June. Probably because I didn't want to hold up my starving group but partially because it was dark and I had my point and shoot with only 200 ISO and bad noise tolerance.

9. zackiedawg

Thanks Geek. Next time, stick the P&S on a table or rail and do a slow shutter - I've done a few of those even with my puny little 4MP ultra-compact, and they come out surprisingly well. Of course, that doesn't solve the starving family issue!