All birds...no bees

Discussion in 'Disney's Animal Kingdom Photos' started by mainstreet1997, Jun 5, 2009.

1. We certainly dont get birds like this in Chicago!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Definitely something I want to try again. I just plopped myself down in "the front row" under the trees and start snapping!

2. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Great shots Katie! ; Was this in the bird show? ; I can't remember seeing this many different types of birds in there.

3. Nope. Its in the nature trail or what ever its called, right before the gorillas.

4. PolynesianMedic

Oh, ok, I don't get back there too often. ; I will have to travel through there on my next trip.

5. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Nice shots Katie. They do have some Beautiful birds in there.

6. Paul

Paul Member

Thanks for sharing these katie, I can't wait to get back to AK with my new lens to take some of these.

7. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Love that shot of the purple bird, anyone know what it is? ; Nothing like it here in NJ! ;

8. I asked and its called an amethyst starling.

9. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Awesome shots! ; You must have great patience, as you really caught some nice closeup details in good light, or breaks in the trees.

Those bird areas are actually on both trails - Pangani in Africa, and Maharajah in Asia. ; Each has a great selection of amazing birds from their respective continents.

Warning to photographers - always look above you whenever you pick a spot to linger and take a shot...while watching one bird, another diretly above you may decide to give you a present...one you DO NOT want!

Another thing for photography - the contrast in there is harsh as can be - very dark, shadowy branches hiding under leaf canopies with streaky light and shadow, and nearly always backlit by very bright sky or sun shining through the netting above. ; When shooting birds in the trees, high ISO is usually a must - at least 400, sometimes 800 or even 1600. ; Blowing out backgrounds to meter on the birds is often a necessity. ; And purple fringing and chromic abberations are a threat. ; If you spend a lot of time there, only shooting when the birds land in a perfect beam of light, then you can get away with less ISO and backlight problems. ; I usually just pass through in 10-20 minutes, so I don't really take the time to set up shop in there and wait for the perfect moments.

A few from the Asia side too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a few from the Pangani trail too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, I didn't devote the time and care to the place like you did - I should do that next time. ; I always just walk through, try to get a few shots in there, but without really taking the time to wait for the right light or location of the bird and background. ; A lot of ISO800 in mine, especially Pangani, as it can be quite dark in the shadow areas where the birds like to sit.

10. PolynesianMedic

Great photo's Justin! ; I love the coloring of these birds.