AK After Dark

Discussion in 'Disney's Animal Kingdom Photos' started by Jeff Fillmore, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Finally got over to AK for a few hours of photography after dark with the new tripod. I wish they made it a little easier to get into that park after the sun goes down.

All pictures taken with D300 + Sigma 30mm f1.4. Aperature Priority at f11, ISO 200. Hope you like them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Dan

Dan Member

Very nice. I was going to say that the Tree of Life reflected in the water shot (the wider one) was my favorite, then I noticed the tighter tree reflection shot. That's outstanding. The tighter Everest shot with the single lamppost in the foreground has an interesting feel, my first impression was that it looks cold and barren except for the people. But then I look at it more and either the color tones or my memory of the place makes me think it looks warmer.

The full Everest shot has a curious sort of darkness halo around the peaks. What is that? Post processing artifact?

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

AK at night is awesome...

4. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

I love how night shots look they just have a certain quality about them. Great job.

5. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice work Jeff! I have to agree with Dan, that last one of the Tree of Life is just awesome. My other favorite is the first photo in the set. That street scene is interesting. I don't think I've ever been to AK after dark... gonna have to put that on the to do list for the next trip.

6. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Those are great Jeff. My favorite is the last Everest.
    Looks like you had a fun night with your tripod!

7. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Thanks all- I appreciate the feedback.

Dan- I see the halo also but not sure what caused it. Not much processing with any of these- just converted to jpg for the most part.

It is an awesome park after the sun goes down- too bad the only way to really get in there after dark right now is Wednesday night extra magic hours.

8. Kiki

Kiki Member

Those are just wonderful! Great job!!!

9. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I have never been to AK at night, and can see that I am going to have to make every effort I can to get there sometime in the future. It looks even better at night then it does during the day. Beautiful shots!

10. Kiki

Kiki Member

Just coming back to this thread to see the newest post caused me to revisit the photos and they are just wonderful! Love 'em!

11. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

EMH during the winter/latespring/late fall. It reminds me of the brief period at DL where you can have a dusk/dark ride around the Rivers of America on the Mark Twain. Ever since Fantasmic! opened they stopped boat service on the Rivers at 5 or 6 pm. But there are a few weeks where it's dark at 5:45 for the last trip.

12. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

Those are some great night shots. I haven't tried perfecting my night shots yet - just some mediocre ones. I've been too busy watching my daughter experience everything for the first time. I've been taking hundreds of pics of her enjoying things more than I have spent focusing on honing my timing and playing with lighting. It's also a pain to lug around the tripod when you've got all the baby gear in tow! ;)

13. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

I have to disagree with this- we are still using a stroller but barely. Pretty soon I will be faced with the prospect of actually carrying all my camera stuff thru the park instead of stowing it under the stroller. THAT will be a pain. ;)

Thanks again for all the comments all. :)

14. Kiki

Kiki Member

You might want to consider a camera backpack. I use a Naneu Pro (www.naneupro.com) Alpha model and LOVE it. I ordered one and then found out that the company was based in Orlando! Went down and met the folks and they are really nice and accommodating and the product is superior. I'm sure there are many other great camera backpacks, but this company inparticular is really good to deal with. I heard about it in Shutterbug Magazine.

15. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

uuuugghh I hate carrying my gear with me.

16. Kiki

Kiki Member

I don't like being there (usually) without it. The Naneu Pro Alpha backpack makes it really easy to carry all of the gear, including tripod (a lightweight one) and lunch, hats, and whatever else. We always take a backpack anyway, and this one is particularly comfortable.

17. gary

gary Member

i really like naneu gear, i have the echo sling model, great bag for europe, travel, anyplace you want your gear where you can keep an eye on the zippers,

18. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

Thanks I'm looking for a bag similar to a backpack or a sling style bag. for camera gear I think I need on that can hold all my junk.

19. Kiki

Kiki Member

20. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Fabulous gdad!!! I Love the looks of AK at night, but I must confess that I have never stayed there past sunset. I will have to make a point of doing just that on the next trip so I can get my share of AK night pics.