Why I got Nikon's 70-200VR f/2.8 Lens

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by Scottwdw, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

HOCKEY!

Went to the AHL game between the Hamilton Bulldogs and the Syracuse Crunch last night and got great seats for shots like these...

Click on photos for larger versions.

Marc Denis making a save during the first period.
    [​IMG]

Nikon D70/70-200VR, 1/500s, f/4, ISO 1600, EV +1.0, 102mm focal length (cropped)

Greg Stewart (16) of the Hamilton Bulldogs tracking down the puck.
    [​IMG]

Nikon D70/70-200VR, 1/500s, f/2.8, ISO 900, EV +1.0, 105mm focal length

Hamilton's Mike Glumac (15), on his toes, deflects the puck into the Syracuse Crunch net.
    [​IMG]

Nikon D70/70-200VR, 1/500s, f/2.8, ISO 1000, EV +1.0, 110mm focal length

The lens focuses fast, pulls in the action, is sharp (even through hockey rink glass) and allowed me to use 1/500s in Shutter priority mode. The lighting in the Onondaga County War Memorial is terrible and I always got blurred and dull shots in the past with the much slower 18-200VR lens. I also used a custom white balance setting off of the ice.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. gary

gary Member

really nice work, of a subject that i read on sports forums is a hard shoot

really really nice work

3. Paul

Paul Member

Those are really nice Scott, I can see why you would want that lens. I'm surprised they let you into an arena with your SLR setup, I was always under the impression they prohibited SLRs from pro sports.

I really want to get the Canon version of that lens for similar reasons, indoor sports, small concerts and theater.

4. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thanks, Gary! Lighting is always a challenge in the ol'War Memorial so I am very pleased with these results.

Paul, depends on the venue and/or entertainment. I've never had an issue shooting AHL games here in Syracuse. I would call first to see what is allowed. For concerts, I would not be able to bring in a dSLR but P&S cameras are allowed.

5. Paul, I have the 55-250 mm for the Canon and I LOVE it! Check out my trip report to see some of the pics I got with it.

6. goofy101

goofy101 Member

Those shots are so crisp

7. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Not bad for shooting through the protective glass, eh? :) I have some where the glass is very apparent but not bad for a fan's point of view.

8. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I think the "majors" have figured out things and have either banned cameras with removable lenses or if they are beyond X inches long...(another reason Canon has an advantage with the DO glass).

Anyway, which camera do you have?

9. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

I think I read in USA Today or CNet's news.com that they figure in a few years, dSLR's will have secured a major share of the camera market and will be too prevalent to deny their presence in the hands of amateurs.

I wonder how long it will take before people complain they cannot take their camera's in when people with camera phones and fixed-lens cameras can.

10. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i took my big glass to a phillies game last summer with no problems at all. no one ever said a word.

11. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I'm wondering if it's the club level (team) that is figuring out the problem.

From the Dallas Cowboys:

CAMERAS: You may bring a small, still shot camera to Texas Stadium. However, video cameras and cameras with extended or zoom lenses are not allowed at Texas Stadium.

I know the Carolina Panthers language says about the same.

From the AT&T Center (home of the SA Spurs):
    No professional camera/video equipment may be brought in for any AT&T Center event including “detachableâ€

12. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Fantastic Scott

13. gary

gary Member

took a white 300 f4 into a pirates game 2 years ago, of course the way they play might as well have minor league rules
    never had anyone say anything about gear at any minor league game, i like that level, they still remember it's supposed to be fun and affordable so you keep coming back
    as an aside, scott shoots hockey, i shoot motor sports, we both shoot occasional horse events, wonder if our favorite webmaster would ever throw us a bone forum wise

14. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thanks, Craig! I'm bringing this lens to WDW the next time. Thinking I'll use it for the shows in DHS including Fantasmic!.

Gary, I know I would have trouble getting it into an SU men's basketball game but will try. They allowed the 18-200VR but that doesn't look as "professional" as the 70-200VR does. Will probably go up for a couple of women's games and they don't care what you bring in for those games. I'm going to try using this in some local hockey rinks but fear the lighting will be worse and I'll be wishing for a D700 ISO class of camera.

15. mPower

mPower Member

I've taken my 70-200 to both Colts and Bungles games, as well as to several Reds games. No issues.

Just the one argument with the rent-a-photog-hater at Playhouse Disney Live on Stage, but that's another story.

16. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Oooo...a TMIP Sports forum for all things sports related from kids to amateurs to pros. I like it.

BTW, Gary, I shot motorsports on occassion, too. PM me the dates for Dirt Week 2009 and I'll set some time aside for us to go shooting somewhere around Syracuse and you tell me what I need to do to get in on some DIRT photography that week.

17. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Is that the Stage Show at DHS or one of the traveling shows?

18. ColleenMarie

ColleenMarie Member

I'd like to see a sports forum here as well!

Your shots are really, really good~

I cheat when taking my nikon in the bigger venues...of course ,some of you may need to borrow space in your wife/girlfriend's purse...I pack my long lens in it's black bag, put it in the bottom of my shoulder bag and pack light items to hide it...ala scarf, wallet, tissues, etc. The way those people barely look inside my bag most never see the lens bag inside. Even when they do - they rarely give me a hassle about it.

19. mPower

mPower Member

Traveling show Grump. Glad to hear you like your new D300! :)