Western Adventuring

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by Scottwdw, Sep 18, 2013.

1. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Awesome Scott! ; The texture, light and shadows, wow! ; Hope you had hash browns!

2. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Waiting for sunset with about a hundred others. Looks like a Wishes tripod legion up here.

[​IMG]

Delicate Arch in Arches National Park.

Sent from my fabulous iPhone 5

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Have arrived in Denver and have excellent Internet access again. Will do some catchup tomorrow. ; For tonight, here's another one from the Grand Canyon.

[​IMG]
    Simple Scenic Locator by Scottwdw, on Flickr

4. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Another fabulous one Scott! ; Looking forward to your "catching up!"

5. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

More from the Grand Canyon...

Ooh Aah Point on the South Kaibab Trail. ; This was as far down the trail we did. ; About 500 feet into the canyon.

[​IMG]

Pinyon Pine tree growing on the canyon rim at Yaki Point. HDR image.
    [​IMG]

I call this one Last Step. ; A point of rock along the Rim Trail. ; You would not believe the number of people at the National Parks I visited who tempt death by walking out to the edge of canyons, cliffs and other precarious locations. ; One misstep, wind gust or trip and away they would go.
    [​IMG]

Here is the inside of cabin 6191 at Bright Angel Lodge & Cabins. ; It was a short 2 minute walk to the canyon rim for there. ; There are a couple of cabins which overlook the canyon, too.
    [​IMG]

Will add more from Arches and Canyonlands soon. ; We are off to Colorado Springs to visit family and a place called Garden of the Gods. ; Sounds awesome!

6. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Went to junior high right (okay really close)next to the Garden of the Gods. It's hard to compare it to anything after you've been to the Grand Canyon but I'm sure you enjoy it. If I remember it right there is a kissing camel rock there.

7. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Okay it's a mile away to see it, two miles to the visitor center.

Are you going to go up to top of the purple mountain majesty?

8. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Not this time, we went to the top of Pike's Peak a few years ago by cog train on our last visit.

Sent from my fabulous iPhone 5

9. ELinder

ELinder Member

Awesome trip, and pics. Good thing you got to those parks before they were shut down. Hopefully that won't hurt the rest of your plans.

Erich

10. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thanks, Erich, we really did luck out. ; Wanted to go to Rocky Mountain NP but the recent floods wiped out some of the roads in the park anyway. ; Did a scenic drive to Echo Lake yesterday. ; The Aspens were beautiful. ; This morning we woke up to snow on the cars and rooftops.

11. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Have been fascinated with the trees out here. ; Old gnarled ones like this one and those that cling to sheer cliffs along the canyon walls.

[​IMG]
    Arch and Tree by Scottwdw, on Flickr

12. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

John,

Thank you for all your comments and support! Here's another one from the Grand Canyon...

[​IMG]

Sunset light in the canyon as seen from Yavapai Point in Grand Canyon National Park in Arizona.

13. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Autumn in the Rockies.
    [​IMG]

14. Calidain

Calidain Member

Love all the pictures. The Grand Canyon photos bring back fond memories of my summers working for the Grand Canyon National Park Lodges in the early 90s. ; I worked for both the El Tovar Lodge as well as the Bright Angel Lodge doing restaurant work to help pay for college. ; I miss hiking those Canyon trails!!!

15. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

A rocky mountain stream...

[​IMG]

As they say, all good things...

Will be taking a Red Eye flight early tomorrow morning back to reality...sort of. ; Have off until Tuesday and then the AHL hockey season starts on Saturday.

Hope you enjoyed the photos so far. ; I have lots more to go through but have a wedding to process first. ; Hey, they paid me!! ; :)

16. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

These have been great Scott! ; and I am looking forward to those Crunch photos (as well as the other Western shots when you get to them!) ; Thanks again for bringing us along!

17. I vote that the next Magic in Pixels Disney parks meet is everywhere where Scott went on this trip!

~Joanie

18. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

A visit to Delicate Arch is not an easy one but worth the effort. Taken the night before the Government shutdown closed the national parks and refugees.

[​IMG]
    Sunset Arch by Scottwdw

This photo will give you a good idea how tall Delicate Arch is....

[​IMG]

19. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Glad I could bring back those memories for you! ; The lodges serviced excellent food and at reasonable prices. ; I wish I had a couple of weeks or more to explore the Grand Canyon and all its wonders.

20. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Whoa...that would be outstanding to do. ; However, even a meet in New Jersey at Howie's refugee would be just as fun and more affordable. ; :)