waterville, wiscasset & farmington railroad

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by gary, Apr 27, 2018.

1. gary

gary Member

so on a nice late spring day, let's take the ferry to new london connecticut, let's pick up michael from the amtrack station, and let's drive to bath maine, our headquarters for a steam train photo excursion at the ww&f railway museum, a one day fundraiser by the museum, done on 4/14 and on 4/21, the day michael and i attended. i am first going to give an introduction to the museum by posting scanned pages from the nice booklet given out to the participants

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i know, a lot of post for no steam train photos, well they are coming, i have been on narrow gauge before, but this is the first 2 footer for me, the tracks look so small but these were popular and productive trains at one time, and this booklet was very nicely done and full of cool facts about the museum and the line's history it would be a shame not to share it
    oh all right a teaser shot, a 2 foot gauge steam locomotive, taking on water after being fired up

[​IMG]

2. Chernabog1940

Chernabog1940 Member

I am old enough to remember the train station at Wiscasset. We would come from Boothbay Harbor to meet or drop off people traveling from or to New York City. I can still see the Railway Express wagons waiting to off-load baggage. With the trains heading South, you could see them coming in a long curve over the Sheepscot River before they pulled into the station.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    jbwolffiv, gary and mSummers like this.
  3. gary

gary Member

this was the house of the museum founder harry percival, who designed, and nailed in place what you see here, roof shingles making a full size replica of #9 and the lone boxcar they had from the original days

[​IMG]

#9 at the water tank from the other side, we had occasional clouds, but overall a pretty nice day for late spring in maine

[​IMG]

and we had free run of the yard, just watch out for the moving train, here they are backing onto the turntable, to align with another track, making up the morning train

[​IMG]

4. gary

gary Member

so here we are turning #9 over to another yard track, and that's right folks, you may have heard of an armstrong turntable, well here it is, you do this all day you arms be strong. this turntable has a 2 manpower engine

[​IMG]

pulling our coach out of the shed, ww&f has been able to build some nice shop buildings for working on the various rolling stock projects, and to keep what they have pristine

[​IMG]

not a toy, this is a real live restored steam engine that worked this line, it just sort of takes awhile of looking at it to get used to it, your brain keeps going, what's up with the perspective??

[​IMG]