victoria/vancouver

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Photos / Lost Attractions/ Cast Mem' started by gary, Apr 29, 2011.

1. gary

gary Member

yes this is the 7 night, out tuesday, back tuesday, inaugural disney alaskan cruise on the wonder

here's how you usually get to granville island, the aquabus, has a number of stops along false creek and 1 at granville island, a touristy, art gallery/restaurant/public market complex. sort of pleasure island meets an almost gentrified funky neighborhood

; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; [​IMG]

sittin on the dock of the bay, watching boats pass under the granville street bridge

almost ready to walk here

mmmmm beer mmmmmm GOOD ; ; ; granville island brewing, granville island pale ale was the taste of choice

; ;

2. gary

gary Member

5/1/11, another exceptionally sunny fine day, so after a local breakfast, we went to denman and georgia streets, at the entrance to stanley park, rented 7 speed cruisers, and rode the 6 mile one way stanley park seawall route, first up was the marathon running right past the front of our hotel

view from the room

; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; [​IMG]

and from street level

; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; [​IMG]

coal creek yacht club

some vancouver skyline

totems in stanley park, they have a small gift shop and interpretive center here

one of the lighthouses along the seawall, north vancouver and mountains across burrard inlet

heading towards the lions gate bridge

lady on the rock sculpture, to honor vancouver's relationship and dependance on the sea

tug and tow working through the lions gate narrows, we sail this way outbound tuesday

siwash rock, first nations legend has it as a great warrior turned to stone for standing up to protect his child

sculpture in coal harbor, along the downtown sea walk, on our way back to the hotel

3. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Again, great shots!!! ; Thanks for "bringing us along!"

4. ELinder

ELinder Member

Looks like a great trip so far! But, I have to LOL at your idea of traveling light wrt camera equipment. :)

Erich

5. gary

gary Member

well for me it's pretty light, and i only take 1 body and a lens or 2 when i leave the hotel each time. sometimes you don't have the right gear along for the shot, but until i can afford an assistant lens humper, that's the way it goes. and the M4/3 body, plus 4 lenses and a flash all weigh combined less that my 5d body plus 1 L lens, so i'm still traveling lighter on excursions.[nb]gary has a tripod assistant, but they demand to be fed all the time and can be very tempermental, i don't know how the lens assistants are[/nb]

so to continue with maxxing out the sunny day, after a short post ride shower/lunch break, we walked over to the seabus and rode across burrard inlet to north vancouver, take the #236 bus, fifteen minute ride to the base of grouse mountain

cruise terminal and some ship traffic from the seabus
    ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; [​IMG]

; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; [​IMG]

some of the tree sculpture around the base lodge

; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; [​IMG]

cable car to the top, they have 2, but the larger newer one is undergoing annual maintenance, they would be closed for skiing by now, but they have so much snow this year, they extended the season by 2 weeks, so we were riding up with the boarders and skiiers

going up

the twin peaks known as the lions, sometimes called the 2 sisters

of course a local brew, whistler honey lager, went well with my salmon burger

some snow shots from the sled ride included with your skyride ticket, they drag a large old sled around with a groomer, it sure felt strange to be standing among active skiing on may 1st

some more large sculpture, supposedly the humans are life size 6 ft, so if true you can see how deep the snow pack is

and the resident white wolf, taking a dog nap, they have 2 grey and a white northern wolf

i don;t know how much i'll have for today's post, as i sit here typing this at 0726, it's raining pretty steadily outside, and unfortunately the university of british columbia's museum of anthropology is closed on monday's, and the vancouver art gallery does not allow photography. i'll try to find some kind of activity to document

; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

6. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

More nice shots, Gary. ; Grouse Mountain has some great views of Vancouver, doesn't it?

May 1 isn't too late for skiing. ; I skied Memorial Day weekend one year at Tahoe, and I think Whistler has some year-round glacier skiing.

Keep your eye out for Masayo. ; She's flying in to join you the fun on the Wonder.

7. gary

gary Member

i will be having palo brunch on wednesday with her

and yes the views from grouse are outstanding, and easy public transport too. but i'm a vermont skier, and we just don't usually have any skiing into may

8. gary

gary Member

5/2/11, so it rained most of the day, so it became aquarium day, i'll only be posting a couple of these from this point on due to the cost and slow connection on the ship

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Paul

Paul Member

Very nice Gary, looks like a great trip. When I worked for the US Navy I had the chance to take a ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria and it was amazing. Beautiful place!

10. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Have a great time, take lots of pics, post em later!

11. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Hey Gary! ; Thanks for the updates and photo's! ; I can't wait to go on your trip with you! ; I also wanted to let you know that the twin peaks shot and the beer shot after it are not coming up for me. ; Otherwise, these are beautiful shots!

12. gary

gary Member

they are showing oin my browser, are the 2 aquarium shots posted after showing??

13. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Yeah the aquarium shots are there. ; I am even on a differencet computer and different browser and they are not showing up. ; There is a place holder for them, but no image.

14. ELinder

ELinder Member

TalpaTalk also just shows the placeholders for the 2 mentioned images. Others are OK.

Erich

15. gary

gary Member

repost

; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; [​IMG]

16. gary

gary Member

; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; [​IMG]

17. goofmick

goofmick Member

Great shots Gary! ; Looks like a great trip.

18. gary

gary Member

it was a great trip, just letting folks know that the craigdarroch castle and butchart gardens galleries now have brochures and maps posted