Ultra Wide Angle Wishes

Discussion in 'The Magic Kingdom Photos' started by WDWFigment, Oct 7, 2009.

1. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

I wanted to shoot Wishes with the UWA this time, and I think I found a fairly decent location:
    [​IMG]
    Clicking the picture takes you to its Flickr page, access camera settings/EXIF data, etc.

2. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Wow...any way to fix the distortion? ; Though it's kind of cool looking the way it is. Looks like you had a calm night. ; It was windy on my last trip and the fireworks were blown to the left all night long.

3. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Tom, that is a great shot! ; Thanks for posting!

4. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

Scott - I'm not quite sure what you mean based on this comment and the one on Flickr. ; I already did a lot of distortion correcting, but clearly more is needed. ; Are you saying that the Castle should be rotated a little to the right? ; I plan on doing some more editing to this shot, so the feedback would be greatly appreciated!

5. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Awesome shot Tom!

I applied a little distortion correction to it and then rotated a little more. I then had to crop some off the top because of the distortion correction blank space left behind.
    I think having the castle as straight as possible shows more than the statue.
    Also, most casual non-camera observers will think you shot crooked, as they wont understand the UWA distortions you are dealing with.

[attachments posted prior to 4/27/2010 have been deleted by admin. be sure to link images to make sure they don't get removed]

6. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

Wow; that does look a whole lot better. ; What kind of distortion correction did you apply? ; Vertical? ; How many degrees did you rotate? ; Did you rotate the entire shot, or just the Castle?

Thanks!

7. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Here is a screen grab from acdsee pro.
    It is called perspective correction. I think if you took more time than I did (about one minute) you could get great results with no distortion at all.

the white space around the pictuer is what needs cropped off when done with this step.

After this step I rotated the entire image 2 degrees at the most. To me the bright pink castle against the black background is the most important thing to be straight. Our eyes wont really pick up the statue being crooked, unless it was drastic.

[attachments posted prior to 4/27/2010 have been deleted by admin. be sure to link images to make sure they don't get removed]

8. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Tom,

Craig's got what I was talking about. ; When I saw the image for the first time my mind had a hard time seeing the castle like that with the statue being straighter for some reason. ;

What Matt said on flickr made sense as both would be angled towards each other and (for me) make for a more pleasing composition. ; However, what Craig did is even better.

Again, an amazing shot and idea, Tom. ; You and the flickr group brought back some fabulous photos.

9. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Nice shot, and nice work on the correction, Craig. ; I agree with the general consensus that having the castle straight would be most important - even if you simply took your original and rotated right to level off the castle, without distortion correction, it probably still would have worked. ; As most mentioned, the castle itself is the thing the eyes go to first, and the main subject, so it should be level even at the cost of anything else in frame. ; The distortion can be useful and even fun, for the new perspective.

10. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

Here is the edit I made earlier:
    [​IMG]

I am not sure which I prefer. ; As Jeff pointed out earlier (his comment is gone now), there is less crowd here. I think the crowd added an important element to the shot. ; Maybe I should try to just rotate the Castle, and try to brush the 'lost parts' into the sky/crowd. ; That'd probably be a lot of work...

11. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

I do think the crowd is the best part of the picture- which is excellent by the way. ; Here is my take on the perspective control edit. ; I stretched the whole top and shifted it right- then stretched the whole thing a little taller to get rid of the squatty corrected-UWA look.

[​IMG]

12. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

That edit isn't too bad - it does still keep a feeling of the crowd...they're cut off a bit, but still give the scene the necessary element. ; I like it.

13. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

I definitely like this the best. ; Did you just use the free transform tool (or its equivalent in whatever editing program you use)?

I guess I will know what to do with the next one of these shots that I post. ; This is probably the most I have ever edited, re-edited, and re-edited once more, any shot. ; I really appreciate the feedback from everyone and the edited shots Craig and Jeff posted! ; Thanks guys.

14. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Glad you like it- I use CS3. ; Steps were as follows (2 minutes tops)

Create a duplicate layer
    View- Show- Grid-
    Edit- Transform- Perspective- then pulled the top wider then shifted it right until it looked straight.
    Edit- Free Transform- then pulled it up.
    Erased the top left corner to bring back the watermark.
    Flattened image layers

15. scpergj

scpergj Member

Amazing color in those pictures! ; Which wide angle lens was that? ; The same one you've posted other info about...the tokina 11-17?

You did an amazing job capturing that - really nice!

16. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for posting all of the different ways to try and correct this shot guys. ; I appreciate the lesson of diversity in the many ways that it is possible, all with a similar yet different end point.

17. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

Another one - mostly using Jeff's editing method:
    [​IMG]
    Clicking the picture takes you to its Flickr page, where you can download a copy, get EXIF, etc.

Look at all those LCD screens. ; I wonder how many are from phones? ; How many are actually on tripods? ; Etc.

18. and how many actually came off...and how many flashes went off! :D

19. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

There you go, Tom. ; It's tough when you get stuff near the edges of a UWA and are unable to get the subjects in the same plane as the lens. ; You'd need a step ladder and one of these huge tripods someone showed us in another thread.

20. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

Thanks. ; That free transform tool is going to come in handy for correcting these UWA shots. ; I just have to be careful not to end up with even more odd distortions. ; Thankfully there I can undo any mistakes. ; I really can't wait to test out the UWA during Christmas at WDW. ; It'll have to wait until Christmas 2010, but I think I have some decent shot ideas already.