Turn right to go left

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by ddindy, Jun 25, 2011.

1. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

With the release of Cars 2 this weekend, my mind goes back to the scene in the original Cars where Doc Hudson schools Lightning McQueen on the proper way to race on dirt. ; Specifically, one throws the rear end out, turns the wheels to the right and uses the throttle as much as the steering to control the car's direction.

In May 2010, I decided to return to the Hoosier Hundred, featuring USAC Silver Crown champ cars racing on the dirt mile at the Indiana State Fairgrounds. ; These are ridiculously overpowered open-wheel cars running 100 mile races on dirt ovals. ; I had been once before and really enjoyed the retro feel of the event.

This time, rather than a grandstand seat, I purchased an infield ticket so I could get a few shots of the cars. ; I arrived during pre-race practice, but discovered that the inside guard rail obscured the lower part of the cars, making for lousy photos. ; There were several photographers standing near the guardrails, but I had no credentials and assumed they were all either professionals or "knew someone."

On closer examination, however, I saw no evidence of credentials or "professional" equipment on many of the photographers. ; Wandering over to the gate, I found no security whatsoever so I just joined the crowd. ; Here are a few of the resulting shots.

[​IMG]
    John Heydenreich

[​IMG]
    Levi Jones

[​IMG]
    "Magic Man" Mike Martin goes high

[​IMG]
    Zach Daum burns rubber

[​IMG]
    A.J. Fike

[​IMG]
    Brian Clauson - why is he looking at me?

[​IMG]
    How close was I?

[​IMG]
    This one makes me smile. ; Formula 1 teams use high-speed ultra-light carbon fiber air guns to change tires in a few seconds. ; Silver Crown crews use this big honkin' wrench.

All in all, it was fun. ; I left the area before the real racing began. ; I was happy to see that proper credentials were required once the full field took to the track.

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

that would clearly be turning right to go left. ; congrats on scoring some primo shooting territory.

3. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Great shots! ;

4. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Very nice Dennis! ; I always enjoyed watching those races on ESPN back before they became huge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. ELinder

ELinder Member

Cool shots! I haven't seen the Silver Crown series cars, but similar ones. The 2 things that amazed me were how FAST those things are, and how LOUD they are.

Erich

6. gary

gary Member

these cars are now purpose built, but up until a few years ago when they started running on some asphalt tracks, these cars were a real retro connection with the past, many of them were old indy roadster frames, leftover from the days when front engine cars still ran at indy. they were all individual one offs, built in old shops and barns many of them, by old sprint and indy mechanics from the 40's and 50's. i got to see them run once, back in 07 when usac brought them to syracuse as part of dirt week for the salt city 100. the fuel tanks are those huge things right behind the driver, no pit stops for fuel for these cars. it takes a real set to run these and/or usac wingless sprints, you sit with the drive train literally just inches underneath your package. you back it into the corners, the cockpits are very crude, just 2 pedals, brake and gas, no transmission, direct drive with an in/out box, push start, just a few gauges, and some sheet tin

and sorry dennis, i forgot to add an attaboy, that's some good corner work, panning is right on, you captured the essence of backing it in excellently

7. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Thanks, everyone.