Tripod Help

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Cory_Disbrow, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Cory_Disbrow

Cory_Disbrow Member

So, on my last WDW trip, I had a Manfrotto tripod that I had bought the year before. The tripod is great; very sturdy, supports my camera and lenses(the heaviest combo being the 5D Mark II and the 24-70mm f/2.8L), but it had one downfall. It wasn't tall enough. I couldn't get over some guard rails for shots, people got in the way during fireworks shows, and it was making me crazy. So, as a temporary fix, I went to one of the "rip you off" stores off WDW property and bought a cheapo tripod that was tall enough. It was good enough for the next few days, but now I need to get a real tripod for my next trip. So, I come to TMIP for help. This is what I need:

-To be at least 63 inches, yet be able to fold down so that it fits in a suitcase
    -To be able to hold a 5D Mark II with different heavy L lenses (24-70 2.8, 70-200, etc)
    -Weight is not really an issue to me
    -To not be astronomic in price, so "sort of budget"

Thanks guys!

2. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

This is the newer version of the tripod I had when we met up (mine was the Luxi F): ; http://www.amazon.com/Velbon-Ultra-LUXi ... 472&sr=8-1

After the 'incident' on that trip, I added a Manfrotto 486RC2 ballhead to it. ; It's a great setup, and not overly expensive. ; Not sure if it can hold the weight you need, though.

3. Cory_Disbrow

Cory_Disbrow Member

Thanks for the help Tom. If B&H is telling the truth, my heaviest combo weighs in at 3.85 lbs, which is the 5d with the 24-70. That Velbon looks to be able to hold 5.5 lbs according to your link, so that should suffice. It also doesn't come in at a staggering price tag either.

4. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I bought a Slik Sprint Pro EZ tripod which I use with my A300 and all lenses, up to and including the bazooka-sized Tamron 200-500...it's been very good to me, and is for me the perfect combo of light & small when compacted, but tall and secure when need be. ; It extends to 52" without center post raised, or 65" with center post up. ; The 52" height will be increased by whatever tripod head you are using - some of the heavier-duty gimbled or grip ball mounts will add 5-8 inches. ; I find it pretty stable even with the center post raised, and though my Tamron 200-500 exceeds the weight rating for the stock tripod head, I'm currently still using it (it's a fairly solid little machined metal pan-tilt head). ; Load capacity is 4.4Lbs. ; Legs are 4-section, independently adjustable, and the center column is removable or reversible. ; It's around $100 with the stock head.

5. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

6. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I'm actually looking for a new combo as well. ; While the TMIP preferred served me well, it's just not sturdy enough for the larger lenses and cameras with the extra grips (if you have it). ; Plus I'm looking at a new ballhead that has a gimbal feature by using the side of the head, which will put extra stress on the tripod to one side.

One thing you have to remember is that the weight of the ballhead has to be included in the tripod support! (unless you can't remove the head)

7. mPower

mPower Member

Roger,

You can't go wrong with Gitzo's carbon fiber offerings, or the Markins' ball head. With the addition of a Wimberly Sidekick, there's not a lot out there that you can't support!

The system isn't cheep, but if you're supporting big glass, why skimp on what is holding it up? My M20 and Gitzo can hold up to about 90lbs.

Cheers!

8. Cory_Disbrow

Cory_Disbrow Member

So after going back and forth for a few days, I went ahead and ordered the Velbon Luxi L. It looks real nice, gets plenty of great reviews, and was pretty cheap. Somewhere along the road(birthday next week, then Christmas after that) I'll get a nice ballhead to match it. Thanks for all the help guys!

9. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

Good, so on the next photo trip, I won't be the only one who feels inadequate when compared to Jeff's, Joe's, and Matt's tripods. ; The Luxi L does the same thing as their tripods and is much lighter (and likely much much cheaper) so the joke is on them!

10. Cory_Disbrow

Cory_Disbrow Member

Knowing how much Matt is willing to spend on gear, I don't even want to imagine what his tripod setup is like.

11. Cory_Disbrow

Cory_Disbrow Member

So, the Velbon came in today! ; 8) And I love it. It feels very sturdy, folds down perfectly, and I love how it can collapse so that my camera is only inches off the ground. Thanks for all the help TMIP!

12. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I got an Ultra LUXi-L prior to PixelMania and LOVE IT! ; The only thing I could get over was everybody else's tripods on the Train Station for Fireworks :) ; (But could have increased height up and over using the Center Column). ; It folds down small enough to fit inside my backpack that I carry around the parks (~15"). ; However, I think that the Ultra LUXi-L only holds 3.3lbs. ; There was one that holds 5.5lbs but not sure the model. ; I think the nicest thing is the twist-lock legs that make it very easy to set up and take down.

13. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

I have the hardest time with the twist-lock legs. I actually prefer my Manfrotto tripod but it's big and a pain to carry into the parks. ; It has thumb screw locks on the sides of each leg and I can deploy and retract it pretty quickly

14. Tim

I am not crazy about the twist lock legs but it's the only blemish on an otherwise superb item. ;

15. goofmick

goofmick Member

I agree with Tim on the twist lock legs being the only blemish.

16. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

Hmmm, the twist lock legs are one of my favorite features. ; Interesting what we each prefer. ;

17. Paul

Paul Member

I prefer the flip locks as well. ; I have the Manfrotto 055XB and love it, very sturdy. ; It is not the lightest tripod to carry around WDW, but it sure is rugged. ; It also has a great range of heights, 2.8" to 70.3". Before Pixelmania I was looking into purchasing something lighter and smaller but didn't like anything i tried. ; I also tried the twist locks and just did not like the feel of them.

18. Tim

I guess the advantage of the twist locks is it allows the tripod to collapse smaller. ; My problem is there is always that one leg that doesn't quite get tight enough and the whole thing starts to creep. ; Like Tom said, personal preference. ;

19. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

I have the worst lucky trying to get the legs unlocked and then when I do, they often don't seem to want to lock, so I get one leg that decides to collapse.

20. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Gotta throw my vote for the flip-locks...can't get along well with the twisties myself. ; It was a motivating factor in getting my Slik pod over the Velbon, as it was nearly as small and light, and opened up as tall, but had flip lock legs.

But best thing is to get what works best for you - that's why we've got variety!