To Fix or Not to Fix

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by Scottwdw, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

My beloved Nikon D700 no long talks with my lenses. I can only shoot it wide open. Works for high school hockey games so I have not been to bummed about it. But, since Nikon has nothing currently or on the horizon to replace it, I am considering getting it repaired. All the lenses work fine on the D7100.

I read this article about a place, besides Nikon, who are Authorized by Nikon. You can read it here: http://photofocus.com/2015/03/11/replace-or-repair-your-camera/

I requested an online repair quote after describing the problem with the camera. Will update as this process moves along.

Has anyone used this company before?

2. ExploringWDW

ExploringWDW Member

Anyone have any experience with repairs at keh.com? Flat rate for all DSLR bodies is $215. Sounds too good to be true but I think a lot of people here trust them.

3. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

My only issues with KEH is how low the cost is AND they are not an authorized Nikon repair center.

I got feedback this is a good place, too: http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com/

Wonder if @ddindy has ever had any dealings with them since they are located in Illinois.

4. ExploringWDW

ExploringWDW Member

I wonder if the difference between non authorized and authorized makes any difference other than cost? Kinda like the difference between getting a tune up at the dealer vs. at the local garage.

Have you ever rented from lensrentals.com? A big outfit like that must have an opinion on a good repair shop, although they may do their own repairs. Might be worth an email to their support group though. (support@lensrentals.com)

5. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Oh, there is a BIG difference. Nikon will only supply Authorized Repair Centers with parts. It upset a lot of people when they made that decision back in 2012.

http://ifixit.org/blog/1349/how-nikon-is-killing-camera-repair/

There are only 23 repair centers in the US (there were 22 when that article was written).

Yes, I have rented from lensrentals.com many times. I probably told you about them. :) Even they can not buy parts from Nikon. I would guess they either use Nikon or an authorized repair center.

6. ExploringWDW

ExploringWDW Member

Oh yes, my local shop told me about that change regarding the parts a couple years ago. Forgot about that. I wonder how a non authorized repair center can possibly make repairs without parts?

As for lensrentals, I just figured they would have a very informed opinion as to a recommendation on a specific nikon repair center.

7. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I haven't had to get my dSLRs repaired, so I can't offer any suggestions. Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the body and lens? That solved a focus problem I had one time.

8. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I have cleaned them over and over. Not one lens works unless it is set at the widest aperture. All the lenses work fine on the D7100. I can only assume, the D700 has the issue.

9. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Then maybe it's time to look for a refurbed body. I saw a couple of D700s in my local shop the other day.

10. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

@ddindy I've been looking online. The cost of a good D700 looks to be between $900 and $1,100. I paid $1,200 for mine used. Amazing how they have keep their value. You'd think that would tell Nikon something!

I am still mulling it over.

11. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Scott, sounds like....

<<ROCK>> (you are here) <<HARD PLACE>>

I would see what KEH has to say... you can't be any worse off than you are now. @gary raves about KEH.

jbwolffiv likes this.
  12. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Not only that but I keep waffling. After reading my up-teenth review about the Canon 7D Mark II this month, I have decided to pass mainly due to the amount of investment in new lenses. At that cost, I might as well buy a used Nikon D4 or D4s. Though it would not get me the Wi-Fi capability I need without spending another $800.

Right now I am leaning towards the Nikon D750 (I can invision @ExploringWDW rolling his eyes at me). Though it only shoots at 6.5fps, I am currently using the D7100 for Crunch games and it only goes 6fps (7fps in cropped mode) so I am not losing much there. I would be gaining an FX sensor, updated processor, best Auto Focus Nikon has done to date, Wi-Fi capabilities, a DX crop mode when needed and being able to use my current inventory of Nikon mounted glass. A savings of over $1,300 with current used pricing on Canon glass.

I have until September to make up my mind (I was thinking June but have waffled again). Giving Nikon a few more months to come up with a better body in my price range.

I may yet fix the D700. Until I do get a new body, I can still use the D700 for high school sports and swap lenses for aperture changes. f/2.8 lenses for low light and the 80-400VR (3.5-5.6) for outside games in daylight.

Until I change my mind again... :rolleyes:

13. ExploringWDW

ExploringWDW Member

:)

I would fully support your D750 decision. Unless you went with a complete switch from Nikon to Canon, the 7D, in my opinion, would be silly given your current Nikon inventory. I also (personally again) don't think that the 2-3 more FPS is going to make a huge difference in catching significantly more "perfect moments", so the D750 will do the job for what you do on a regular basis. You will have a 30% chance of catching a better photo, but you will have a 100% chance of having your photo library grow 30% faster. (Still, the 5fps of the D810 sounds much less impressive than the 7fps of the D300s...)

Regarding the "waffling", I know what you are going through. Do it all the time. Then I end up having to overnight stuff two days before I need it.

Nikon has refurbs on sale for 10% off, unfortunately ending today. Their site is running slower than the My Disney Experience site at the moment so I cant get pricing, but thats an option to save a few bucks too.

14. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thanks for the support, Dave! I checked the Nikon sale last night. Very good price on the D750 (which I assume are the ones they took in trade to fix the Flare issue). I could get pricing but, when I selected to buy, I was taken to a screen with a photo of the camera but no where to buy so I didn't That would have been an emotional buy which still might happen. o_O

ExploringWDW likes this.