Tim Devine w/ P&S? (Canon G-10)

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Tim, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

CANON G10
    CLICK HERE!

you betcha!

with two kiddos, i quickly realized that carrying the mark 2 and related accouterments got to be a bit unwieldy, so i took the plunge and went for a point and shoot so that i can have a nice pocket camera for when we go to the boardwalk or other places. ; i also picked up a few odds and ends from the wishlist but nothing terribly exciting.

soooooooooooooo......... ; what did i go with?

Some specs:
    ; ; * 14.7-Mp 1/1.7" CCD Sensor
    ; ; * 5x Wide Angle Zoom Lens (~28-140mm)
    ; ; * Optical Image Stabilizer
    ; ; * 3.0" LCD Display
    ; ; * Face Detection Software
    ; ; * RAW File Mode
    ; ; * Manual Exposure Control
    ; ; * E-TTL Flash Hot Shoe

[​IMG]

2. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Uh oh...Darth got to you...you've gone to the dark side! ; :)

I can't fault you there - I've always preferred to have a compact P&S alongside my DSLR, though mine is more of a true P&S ultra-compact, while yours is a bit more of an enthusiast P&S. ; Still, I think you'll enjoy the relative freedom and ease of movement, and yet knowing you still have a cam to pick up those special moments, family shots, or something that catches your eye. ; I'm sure much of the time you'll still be bringing the big cam when you're out for a day of shooting - but now this one can tag along on those other days or at other places where photography is #2 priority (or less) - you're not burdened with the big kit, annoying the family, yet you can still snap pics when the moment strikes!

Congrats - looks like a fine addition.

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

How's the noise with that? ; I couldn't stand the noise with my wife's 4mp P&S....

4. Tim

Look for a full review of this item after is arrives and I have a chance to try it out.

5. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Looks nice! ; Can't wait to see the review.

6. Paul

Paul Member

Nice! ; Would love to upgrade the old Powershot that I have, but I'm focusing on accessories for the DSLR right now.

7. Tim

the G10 came today and first impressions are positive. ; havent taken any pics yet, but it feels very solid in my hand.

8. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Nice Tim. I never got rid of my Sony P&S. I think it will always have a place alongside the DSLR.

9. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I can understand that. ; I never planned on getting rid of my S1IS, but it died.

10. zackiedawg

I still keep my T100 slim compact with me, and still have my Sony H1 ultra-zoom in the closet. ; (My H1 had gone to my stepfather for their cruise vacation photos, and he used it for 3 years - I had replaced it with an H5, which I loved and shot with for those 3 years. ; When I got the DSLR, I made a swap with my stepfather and gave him my H5, as the larger LCD and lighter weight were both something he could use...and took my old H1 back as a backup cam...though I don't make much use of it.

11. Tim

here is a quick pic from playing around earlier...
    i am so spoiled with the Mark 2 but the G10 travels much lighter. ;
    ISO 400... ; needed noise reduction, sharpen, and crop.

12. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

This is the same P& S I have & it's a great alternative to the DSLR.

13. PolynesianMedic

Took a lot of photo's already, huh Tim? ; I mean the one posted is already image 53. ; Sounds like it needed a lot to get it to where you wanted it. ; How were the other shots?

14. zackiedawg

Indeed it is...I did the first two Mousefests with the H5...and it still accounts for about 3/4 of my gallery and Disney pics. ; It has its limitations, but I always accepted those in order to have the convenience and flexibility with the lens.

Tim - looks solid. ; I wouldn't worry too much about pixel peeping for every grain - it certainly isn't going to replace the MkII...it's just going to be the camera that you can travel light with and not have to think about...you'll take photos with it you might not have with your DSLR, just because it's so easy and flexible. ; Just think - you have a standard wide angle (at F2.8 too!), decent reach to 140mm, and built in macro all in one tiny, palm-sized package! ; And it's stabilized. ; Advantages outweigh disadvantages - and now you can be armed with a camera all the time.

15. Tim

well put, sir. ; well put. ; it's hard to not make the inevitable comparisons between the two, even though they are apples and oranges.

16. Dan

Dan Member

All I can really say is I like the almost retro styling of the G10. ; In particular the dual mode dial. ; I saw that design feature in a Best Buy and just fell in love with it.

17. gary

gary Member

and if the devine's should ever find themselves by chance on castaway cay, the underwater housing is a lot cheaper than the mark2 housing, and less costly if the o rings are bad

18. Tim

touche'! ; there is a good chance that i will score the underwater case before i go to WDW again so i can have some real fun with the new camera.

19. PolynesianMedic

That is a REAL positive to going with that camera for you Tim, pool and water shots.

20. Fishphotos

Fishphotos Member

I have the G9 with the underwater housing and it is quite nice. ; Not as big a bulky as most of our other housings, I use this one a lot. ; I love shooting RAW files underwater!