Tilt-Shift or Fake Model

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by dawholagn, Nov 13, 2006.

1. joedisney

joedisney Member

Thanks, your right, it needs a good crop! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. dawholagn

dawholagn Member

Re: Tilt-Shift Cedar Pointe

Cedar Pointe has grown leaps & bounds. It's a wonderful park that pushes the envelope with every ride in adds(almost every other year as of late) and only raises ticket prices by only dollar or two per major addition. It's a toller coaster lover's dream! ;D

3. barrie

barrie Member

Hey everyone - I added a <a href="http://www.squidoo.com/WDWPhotos/#module1777371">tilt-shift fakes section to my Squidoo lens</a> and highlighted dawholagn's photo (thanks again!). Please stop by and leave links to your WDW tilt-shift photos.

I tend to take close-ups a lot so I don't have any photos that will work for this process. But MouseFest here I come! I have a huge list of photos that I want to focus on taking and I can't wait to try this out. Only 10 days to go...

4. OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!!!

5. joedisney

joedisney Member

OK another try, how about a model Monorail station
    [​IMG]

6. dawholagn

dawholagn Member

The above shot does have that plastic model feeling to it; but I've found that the best candidates for this are shots taken from higher perspective. Shots from a bridge, balcony, rooftop, lunar rover etc. ;)
    Looking down on a subject enhances the "scaled" appearance.

7. mcpaul

mcpaul Member

I haven't tried this yet - but wanted to say what a fascinating thread! I must try this!!! Some great pics, btw!

8. dawholagn

dawholagn Member

Hi, mcpaul! Be sure to give it a shot sometime; it's a lot of fun and takes very little time to complete. It's a good time waster. ;D

9. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

This is the coolest PS technique I have ever seen in my entire life! I need to learn how to do this. :D :eek:

10. JeremyES

JeremyES Member

Sorry to comment on a long dormant thread, but I was fooling around with tilt shift and wanted to share my first try. The source for the photo is not my own, it comes from a Flickr page (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rayda54/se ... 009664280/) of these amazing shots from the top of Cinderella's Castle. These are the perfect candidates for fake tilt shift, I think.

First picture is my retouch, second is the original photographer's. All props go to him for this awesome shot!

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

11. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice work on the tilt shift. That's an awesome photo. I'd love to know how he got up there to get those photos... he must be a cast member.

12. JeremyES

JeremyES Member

There's a set of these photos here http://www.flickr.com/photos/rayda54/se ... 009664280/

I love these kinds of photos, because it really gives a sense of not only scope, but of how well crafted the parks are that you never notice things like how close attractions are to one another. I took the Behind the Magic tour last October, and one of my favorite facts learned was that the Test Track building and the Mexico Pavilion nearly touch!

13. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

yeah, Epcot had the path behind those two open on NYE for guests to leave the park.

14. PolynesianMedic

Those castle pics are incredible. I wish I could go up there for a photo op.

15. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

16. Dan

Dan Member

Woah, very cool. Although I think I'm more interested in the time lapse motions of large ocean going vessels than the tilt shift trick... which I think isn't always appropriate to moving scenes, when an object moves between the in focus and out of focus region sometimes it ruins the effect to me.

Several notes. It appears that those videos were done with an actual tilt shift lens. I'm not 100% certain of this, but in the comments the creator of the video says he "focuses with a lens, not with software" or something to that effect. Which then suggests that this video was made with a tremendous sequence of still images rather than a video camera.

Also, and only peripherally related to this.. that site can host HD video! This is huge to me. I clearly need to check out the full spectrum of video hosting sites, I'm too used to the ultra low quality youtube which has at the same time become the standard.

17. PolynesianMedic

They are some really cool time lapse video clips, thanks for posting!

18. amazing! I love the bathtub II video in HD !! :-*

19. modemmike

modemmike Member

Just thought I'd throw one of mine in here but I can't wait to get some shots from Bay Lake Tower and apply the effect.

[​IMG]