The latest Nikon Rumors.....

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Roger, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

http://nikonrumors.com/2009/07/08/nikon ... eaked.aspx

Now while the leak of this is extremely serious if true, some of the items are starting to fall into place, and as that site says, where there's smoke, there's fire.

The D3000 and D300s is coming out in less than a month and Nikon will only be introducing DX lenses then. ; And Thom Hogan recently noted that his sources mentioned that Nikon is moving up the D700x, and with it comes the new wave of FX lenses, such as:

New 70-200/2.8
    AF-S 35/1.4
    Replacement for 24-120 VR with a 24-135 VR

And what's also interesting is the comment that all new lenses from this point will be enhanced for contrast detect AF mode....

But also coming down the pipeline for next year include:

300/4 VR
    400/5.6 VR
    24-85/4 VR
    120-450 VR (The 80-400's replacement perhaps?)

Everything is AF-S and G, nano coated, etc. etc.

The D3 replacement, the D4 will go to ISO 51,200 at the high end, but 12800 will be the standard end of the range.

2. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

I think I would've put to use that onboard HD video and the Silent Shutter mode. ; At this rate of development, who knows what features will be in the class of dSLR when I'm authorized to upgrade again in a couple years

3. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

I can see the ones you posted- Especially the 400/5.6 VR I would interested if around $1500. ; Canon is what- $1200 with no IS? ; If it comes in at $2500 which would not surprise me at all then they can keep it. ; I'll stick with my 300/4 and a TC which works great.

AF-S Nikkor 14-28mm f/3.5-4.5G ED sounds interesting but would have to be way cheaper than the 14-24/2.8. ; At $800 I might bite.

But these?

AF-S DX 17-65/3.2-4 - Trade in 17-55 f2.8 for 55-66mm @ f4? ; Or Trade in 16-85VR for less range and no VR for f3.2-4? ; Where does this fit in?
    AF-S Nikkor 70-240mm f/3.5-4.5G VR - How much better will it be than the 70-300vr to convice people to 'upgrade' and loose 60mm? ; Or is is priced below?
    AF-S DX Nikkor 60-95mm f/2G VR - I don't get this range. ; How about a DX 85/2VR or even f1.8 and just take two steps either way?

4. Roger

Yeah Jeff, some of those are out in left field, but I think that they are leaning towards a different market, like the DX movie crowd. ; I think an F/2 lens for DX is about the same DOF as 2.8. ; So it would be about a 90-142.5 lens in the 35mm world.

Did you see where there is a full length movie that was filmed on a D90? ; And they chose the D90 over the 5DMk2 (before the firmware fix)

5. gary

gary Member

all this focus on video upgrades is troublesome, just last week i found out yet another outdoor concert series, a free one no less, has been forced, from what i hear, by the performing artists, to ban all cameras from the location, which is very bad for me, as my main photo interest outside of disney is performance art.
    it does not address phone cameras at all, and it's going to lead to a lot of disappointed buyers when they find out they can't use their new toy to make their own bootleg dvd of their favorite music act

6. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

Looks like a very aggressive plan, but some of those choices seem questionable to me. ; But, what do I know--hopefully some of them will make currently available lenses drop a bit in price.

7. mSummers

mSummers Member

There has been another post on Nikon Rumors that says it may be an elaborate joke between friends. ; If you translate the original forum that it was posted on, the word joke does appear in a post after the post with the road map in it. ; Also, it shows them releasing the D4 in Q2 2010 and the D4X in Q4 2010 which is a major break in their normal release pattern. ; They usually wait a full year between releasing updates to that line of cameras. ; I guess we'll have to wait and see how it shakes out.

8. Roger

If it's a joke, which it could be....they got their current info right it seems.

9. mSummers

mSummers Member

yeah, that's what makes it look so real, add in all of the detailed specs, and it becomes really believable. ;