Teaching??

Discussion in 'Photography 101' started by molander, Oct 6, 2008.

1. molander

molander Member

Just throwing an idea out...

Would some of you experts be interested in holding a sort of class for those of us who have much to learn?? Maybe something akin to a challenge but I don't care if there is a winner or not! I'm thinking someone would share a tip or technique and then send us out to practice bringing back our results to the forum. (Icing on the cake if you're fortunate enough to practice at Disney!) The constructive criticism would be priceless. AND it would be great to see some of the Experts' versions of the tips/techniques, too. (A great way to learn.)

I've been so impressed with the talent on this forum and it's not so overwhelmingly busy like DIS or some of the camera-specific forums I frequent.

Just a thought.

2. molander

molander Member

<crickets chirping>

Ahem...<awkward silence>... Well... :-[ <shifting weight nervously from side to side>... I suppose that was a stupid idea, huh? Ah, well... back to the books.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

No, it wasn't a stupid idea. I've just been thinking about it. (Issues to deal with elsewhere prevents my full attention)

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

don't be so quick to give up on this idea...i like it but try to spell it out a bit more.
    you might be onto a nice content idea for the main site.

5. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I understand the idea. I'm just trying to think of good examples.

Like depth of field homework examples, or shutter speed examples....

Like: Go take a picture of running water out in the world somewhere - it can be from a hose (spray preferred), a sprinkler, a river, waterfall....

Take a picture at 1/30sec and one at 1/2000sec (or the fastest you can). If you have a tripod, take a picture at more than 1 sec.. Come back and post your examples.

6. mSummers

mSummers Member

Over at Strobist, they did something like that, but it was for flash photography techniques. David Hobby would post an assignment (like this one) and give everyone who wanted to participate a week to post their work and then he discussed the better ones (like these)

7. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

I like where this is going!
    sounds fun

8. molander

molander Member

Yes, Roger and mSummers! That's it exactly! I wouldn't have thought to use a tripod when I was outside in the daylight shooting water from the hose. And maybe some creative exercises to "improve the eye". There's a billion general "tips" I found on this thread on the DISboards Disney Photography Tips that I've been testing out here at home but it doesn't help much if there's no one to constructively criticize. You know? I can look at it all day knowing it's "off" but I'm not sure how.

9. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I really like this idea. I think that those of us out there that are new to the photography world of dSLR, could benefit tremendously from something like this.

10. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

I loved this idea when molander first proposed it. But I like where Tim is thinking of taking it. Maybe content on the main page in the form of instructional material and then the "students" will post their samples in the forum thread that is attached to the article.

Then the resident experts can critique and offer suggestions. I guess one suggestion would be that we'd need to inform people how to post pictures so the EXIF information is preserved. I know for people like Roger, the EXIF information helps him alot with advice

11. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

This sounds like a lot of fun as well as a great way to learn. I would prefer people post their Exif data below the photo so it's easily seen by everyone without having to hunt for it.

The threads Tim hooks to the articles was sort of this idea. I asked people to post their panning shots in the thread hooked to the article I wrote about it. This is taking it another step to actively ask people to participate for a set period of time. Which is an excellent idea.

12. Tim

who wants to be the official TMIP curriculum coordinator? send me PM's.

13. Tim

got one volunteer... any else want to help out with this? need 2-3 more people.
    need to be familiar with tips/tricks/techniques and be willing to write a -brief- article ever once in awhile.
    people throw you names into the hat ASAP.

14. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

I really like this idea!! You can only learn so much from reading books. I think feedback on the pics you take from someone more experienced is extremely valuable and speeds up the learning curve.

Tim, would a moderator need to be an experienced photographer? If not I would like to throw my hat into the ring.

15. Tim

ok, we have 6 people on board and that should be more than enough. more info to follow shortly.