Splash Mountain new height restrictions

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by prettypixie, Jan 22, 2008.

1. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Walt Disney does not approve.

Now the highest restriction for any ride on SoCal property. Sheesh.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

60 inches does seem awfully high, especially when california screamin' isn't that high.

4. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

That does seem hight but there aren't any restraints in that ride though.

5. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Wow...that's a pretty aggressive CYA policy. But when you're Disney...there are armies of people just itching to find some excuse to sue you and reap the millions, so they need to have more aggressive CYAs than most.

I wonder if that's an absolute height restriction, or just related to children? Because that's getting into the height that some adults are under, and not even those in the dwarf category! I have a 40-year-old friend who is 58 inches - just a very petite and tiny woman. I can't imagine the embarrassment of not being allowed on the ride as a full-grown but small adult!

6. Roger

I'm pretty sure that it's absolute.

7. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

Yeah I don't think they would have a height restriction that would fluctuate due to age. It would be embarassing for an adult not be be able to ride an attraction that a person younger than themselves could ride.

8. Tim

ya know, i never thought of that... what are they going to tell the 4'11" mother of three who wants to take her family on splash mountain?

9. Roger

"Ma'am, you need to ride in the back seat"

10. Tim

...and have a magical day!

11. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

What if they just had car seats for the people who don't match the height restrictions. That way the mom that's shorter than her children could experience what her kids had to go through a few years ago.

12. Dan

Dan Member

Interesting. I didn't know that the DL Splash Mountain had different ride vehicles. I was going to ask why the restriction was only for DL, then I read that part of the story.

Honestly.. if they've had issues with injuries I can understand their feeling the need to react to it. Whether they've over-reacted or not is a different issue. Still it would be an awful bummer to be blocked from riding the DL version of what is among my favorite rides (not that I'm short... I'm approaching being too tall for the restraints of some rides).

13. Tim

i still haven't ridden the DL version of splash despite two trips the past three years. i will have to check it out next time we go out there.

14. Roger

Space is the same way.

Less room = different design

15. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

On Space they sit side by side at DL right? I didn't know the Splash Mountain vehicles were different how are they different?

16. Roger

Just about the opposite as Space.

DL has one track, so the cars are two across, while WDW has two tracks, single file cars.

Splash at WDW is two across, DL is one across and if I remember correctly you can fit two people in the front seat (not side by side, do the math)....the Matterhorn bobsleds 10 years ago was similar when all it had was a fabric seatbelt to keep you in. I think it's been almost 4 yrs since I rode Splash.

17. mousefan

mousefan Member

Well that bleepin bleeps!!! :mad: First, Small World is down for refurb, now this. My son is not gonna like that at all!!

18. Tim

you were robbed, joe, you were robbed!

19. mousefan

mousefan Member

Tell me about it!! And Skybus seems to be wrecking havoc on the return flights from Cali to Cbus. Oh well, I guess the worst that can happen is I'll be stuck on the left coast for a few more days.

20. Tim

hey nothing wrong with that....