space shuttle launch

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by ELinder, Feb 17, 2010.

1. ELinder

ELinder Member

Thanks again for the comments. For the exposure settings, I looked at a LOT of images on the internet to get a general idea. Then I tried them out at the Delta rocket launch a few weeks ago. From the results, I knew i was close, but just in case I emailed Ben Cooper at www.launchphotography.com (who also now does photography form NASA) to ask for advice, and he said I was basically there. I'm having to do some do some correcting in Photoshop, so I didn't quite nail it. Still, I'm thrilled with the results, and got far far more keepers than I imagined that I would.

Erich

2. ELinder

ELinder Member

I may as well keep these shots together. This time it's STS-132, most likely the last flight for Atlantis. Same camera, lens, and 2x TC, but I added a polarizer.
    It was hot,, and very crowded, but at least there was a breeze coming off the water.

Erich
    [​IMG]

3. BorisMD

BorisMD Member

Sweet shot! ; I like this better than your night shots.

Way to go.

Boris

4. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Beautiful shot, Erich. ; I watched the launch on HDNet - it looked like a perfect day.

5. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice work Erich!

6. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Erich, this is a GREAT shot, and I heard there were over 100,000 people there. ; I'm actually a little jealous that you got to be there, and I couldn't. ; Oh well, I am going to try to get there for one of the last launches of this year. ; I have to see when they are to when I am finally living there.

7. goofmick

goofmick Member

Awesome shots!!

8. ELinder

ELinder Member

Thanks all. I'm really kicking myself with frustration, as all the shots after I took the camera off the tripod are slightly out of focus. My stupid habit of bumping the focus ring bit me again. They're just out of focus enough to look good at camera eyepiece size, but unusable at anything bigger than a postage stamp. ; :mad:

I don't doubt the attendance figures. There were a LOT of people. I ended up having to book thru a travel tour group out of Orlando, because the official tickets sold out while I was entering my info into the order form, 3 minutes after they went on sale! The remaining 2 launches are going to be even more crazy.

Erich

9. Paul

Paul Member

Erich just consider another lesson learned, it's still a nice view and I'm sure the experience was great.

10. ELinder

ELinder Member

This morning, I managed to bookend the space shuttle Atlantis' flight. I looked quite a bit online for advice, and while there is lots for launches, there is basically nothing for landings, other than you need a press or other credential to get out to the runway area. So, I just camped out at the Kennedy Space Center visitor center parking lot and hoped for the best. I hope to get a bit more out of it if I can figure out curves more.

While waiting in my chair, a couple with a definite British accent came up and asked about seeing the landing, and we started to talk about the shuttle program. They obviously didn't know much about the space program, and this was a quick side trip. When I mentioned there were only 2 more flights left before retirement, they were surprised. When I told them that the delayed replacement was also in grave danger, they asked why in the world the government had done that. The only word I could think of was stupidity.

Erich
    [​IMG]

11. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

It was my understanding that it has basically been thrown 6 feet under, covered with concrete, and that concrete has been covered over by a massive steel structure.

Based on the X-37, I'm guessing that manned spaceflight in that manner is over. ; Never mind that it isn't the same. ; What would have happened had the Portuguese sent over the East India Trading Rover in 1492? ;

What if the Wright Brothers only flew unmanned gliders off Kitty Hawk?

Some things can be done by robotics, but not all.

Nice catch Erich.

12. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Great photo Erich! ; I am sad to see this going away and no beginning in sight for manned space flight. ; I think it's a big mistake not to continue. ;

13. BorisMD

BorisMD Member

Sweet shot Erich! ; I'm glad you got to do the bookend approach.

Regards,

Boris

14. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Excellent catch, Erich!

15. goofmick

goofmick Member

Great shot Erich and you are right on about the space program. ;