space mountain - re-opening

Discussion in 'Disney Theme Park Discussion' started by Sheila Gallant-Halloran, Nov 24, 2009.

1. realfam

realfam Member

Can't wait to check it out next week. ; We'll report back with some pics

2. CameraGirl

CameraGirl Member

I hope we get a chance to get on it as well.

3. Northernmouse

Northernmouse Member

From what I've heard I think I'm going to be dissapointed. I hope it will be a pleasant surprise but all I want is a smoother ride this old body can't take those jarring drops and curves.

4. realfam

realfam Member

I'm tending to agree with you. ; From what I understand the majority of the work has been done to the decor inside the line up and loading areas. ; I believe the actual ride is still the same. ; Hope I'm wrong. ; We'll have to report back in 2 weeks,

5. amw

amw Member

Yes, I've heard it is disappointing too - at least to anyone who has been on the Disneyland version.

The new WDW track-ride is supposed to be smoother and darker. They've enclosed the loading areas (?). But, the "rockets" themselves are the same and they didn't but in the individual speakers. They revamped the line to include interactive games (stopping the line unnecessarily I think) and added the photopass.

The DL version is amazing - and you sit 2 by 2 which I always preferred with my DDs -- and when they do the Rock version, you have music blaring at your ears.

6. kevings

kevings Member

I'm kind of glad they didn't give us the California version of Space Mountain. ; The Florida Version is the original, and I like the seating arangement on it. ; It's too bad they didn't add a soundtrack, since I think that can really make a ride, but I'm happy the track configuration hasn't changed.

I have been of 4 out of the 5 Space Mountains around the world. ; Tokyo is a clone of California, and Paris has a more high-tech Rock 'n' Roller style coaster. ; I've actually been lucky enough to ride both iterations of the DLP Space Mountain, and I prefer the original storyline and soundtrack to the current one.

Bringing it back to WDW, we're having a RADP meet at Kagic Kingdom's Space Mountain at 4:30 on Sunday. ; Pick up a fastpass earlier in the day, and meet us in the new Space Mountain Plaza for a group ride!

Kevings

7. Northernmouse

Northernmouse Member

It is definately a huge improvement didn't go as far as I would have like audio on the ride is definately lacking even ; if it was just ambiance sounds it would have been better. The track is much smoother not the backbreaker it was but I really like the Disneyland version.

8. deblen4

deblen4 Member

We were on the new version in January. ; Not a huge change, we loved Space Mountain before the update, and it's not that much different. ; A few new things to see and do in the queue to the ride, but if it's not really busy then you are just walking on through to get to the ride. ; The lineup right where you board the cars is more closed in and you can't see the cars moving on the track (at least that bright stripe you used to see on the side of the cars) ; The sound is better, and they take your picture once you leave the boarding area you go down a quick short dip and then the bank to the right I believe is where they take the shot from the inside. ; You can't add the photo to your photopass card like you can at Test track, but they are for sale at the gift shop. ; The ride is smoother, but other than that I didn't notice any huge changes. ; Still one of my favourites