Sony NEX users of TMIP!

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Tim, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

and my camera is not on the way. Apparently the combo I ordered included a back ordered lens?
    So, I will keep looking for it. I just want a cheap lens to start, to make sure I like the body, because, then I will immediately get the18-200, fast primes and an UW

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Roger, figures. ; I just got that flash along with the MAA adapter. ; Works great, very bright and weighs nothing.

3. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Was it the 16-50 that was backordered, Craig? ; I suppose it may be dependent on what's in stock at the given store you bought from. ; Did you cross shop stock at other stores?

It's a good idea to pick up the body and a basic lens to get the initial feel for it, then decide what other lenses you want to pick up. ; And with the newer power zoom 18-200 coming as Tim is looking for, you might end up wanting that version for video use, or the other 18-200 variants for smaller body or original manual zoom for just stills work.

4. HPS3

HPS3 Member

Craig, welcome to the Nex group! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the little camera.

5. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Cool!
    I got it today! The first time, I tried to pick it up locally, but it was backordered, so I finally ordered it the other day.
    I love how small it is! I have the 16-50 lens which seems like a good lens for around the house. If I like the body, I will get the 18-200 like my Nikon.
    Do you have to format the memory card? I put one of my old ones in which has Nikon folders, and I was going to format in the body.
    And does Sony make an external charger?

6. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

If you put a new card in it that isn't formatted you will see the camera prepare the database. ; It takes a few seconds.

I think Sony makes an external charger but they don't advertise it. ; The NEX-6 uses a standard Sony battery (its not special to the model, and many other modern NEX and SLTs use it), and there is an awesome third party charger and two battery pack available from Amazon for cheap. ; I got it and have no problems.

7. Roger

Messing around with my new[nb]To me[/nb] glass:

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Attached Files:

8. Brother Jay

Brother Jay Member

Well, I guess you can slap the 'member' sticker on me as well. ; Just got home with my NEX 6 and can't wait to play with it for a while. ; I decided against getting the 55-210 because I spent some of the money on the extended warranty and I wanted to talk with all of you here about it for a while. ;

I know this may sound like stupid reasoning, but the camera I owned first had a x12 zoom until I traded it up to the G12 inside the first 2 weeks of owning it. I have absolutely loved the G12 (for the most part) but I immediately noticed how much shorter the zoom on the G12 was. ; A friend of mine who has been a photo nut for years has been very kind in helping to educate me in many regards, and was very impressed with the pairing of the G12 sensor + lens and suggested I stick with it and go for a longer zoom at some point in the future if I chose to stick with photography. ;

Well, that day has come, and before you I stand, hat in hand. ; I am looking for a lens that will get me to the 300+ area. ; It does not need to be a Sony lens, I am just fine with using an adapter that has been proven by the NEX masses. ; I am not looking for anything even close to super glass that levitates the lens by itself and consumes dirt to power the camera; I just need good glass. ; Thanks to the focus peaking I would not even object to a manual lens or one with a slower focus. ; I really need to find a way to keep costs down and I had originally budgeted for the 5R.

So, what dost though say? ; Any and all thoughts on the subject greatly appreciated.

9. zackiedawg

You may still want to consider the 55-210mm lens - it's hard to get a better deal on a lens for what it can provide, and the price is even better just now. ; Rumor is, on some sites (I think I recall 'Target' being mentioned - quite a few folks on dpreview have picked one up at that price), it can be had on super duper closeout sale for $244. ; For that price, a stabilized, fast autofocus, and light lens like that is a steal. ; Remember that the NEX is an APS-C sensor camera, so it has a 1.5x crop factor to consider - that puts the 55-210mm lens at an equivalent reach of 357mm, right in the range you wanted. ; Even at list price of $350 it's a bargain. ; And a great performer - I use this lens more than any other on my NEX!

10. Roger

Yes I saw that rumor too. I think it will be replaced by the same elements but add PZ. For 60% more. Saw that writing on the wall with the F3 having PZ controls on the body.

11. Brother Jay

Brother Jay Member

Sorry, had a bit of a mental/fingers malfunction in that previous post, think I turned some of it back into English now. ; Basically, the first camera I had for 2 weeks had a 12x 28-336mm equivalent image stabilized lens. ; ; So, what your saying was it was too dark and my mind was too slow tonight (very probable) and that the lens I picked up tonight is a longer zoom than the zoom I missed having from that first camera? ; I do infact feel extra dumb for asking for this clarification. ; Crop factor is something I had never heard of prior to it being mentioned here.

12. zackiedawg

Exactly right. ; Basically, P&S cameras have a crop factor too - it's actually quite a bit more, usually on the order of about 6x. ; That '336mm equivalent' lens you had before was probably labeled something like 5mm to 60mm on the front of the lens. ; The equivalence was reached by taking the maximum 60mm end of the lens' reach, and multiplying by the nearly 6x crop factor of the tiny sensor.

Similarly, with any APS-C DSLR, SLT, or mirrorless camera, you're going to have a crop factor involved. ; All interchangeable lenses are labeled in actual focal length, which would be accurate when mounted on a full frame sensor. ; But when mounted on an APS-C sensor, you multiply by the 1.5x crop factor (Sony, Nikon, Pentax, Samsung...Canon is actually 1.6x on their slightly smaller APS-C sensors). ; So yes, that 55-210mm lens is giving you an equivalent reach of 82.5mm to 357mm in 35mm terms.

If you really want to stretch out the reach, you can do what I do and add a 1.7x teleextender to the end, and increase your reach all the way to 535mm equivalent - great for birding!

13. Brother Jay

Brother Jay Member

Is there no way to attach a polarizer or filter to the 16-50? ; I see no threads on the lens yet the clerk at the store today tried to push a couple expensive filters my way before I left. ; Also, can any of you recommend a good book for beginners on the nex? ; I can't actually find any nex 6 books.

14. Roger

The 16-50 uses a 40.5 mm thread. It's much smaller than the exterior of the lens and the threads are where the lens cap holds on. I would be shocked if the store was carrying that size. It's not a common one.

15. Tim

I HATE that lens cap! ; ; ;D

16. Brother Jay

Brother Jay Member

So, is there such a thing as a Disney Approved neck strap that you would recommend?

17. Tim

18. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I ended up giving the compact Black Rapid Strap I won at PM2K12 to my sister and bought the one you can add extensions to. ; I don't think I will ever use a neck strap again.

Sent by using Tapatalk...

19. Brother Jay

Brother Jay Member

I may actually go with the Snapr35+ Sling Strap. ; Since the 55-210 didn't come with a lens case, the pouch intended for the p&s camera would probably work pretty well I figure. ; Thoughts on this?

Which one did you end up grabbing?

20. Roger

I haven't used my Black Rapid yet. But I will see if I can use it with the new manfrotto plate next week. Seems like overkill with a NEX because there just isn't that much weight. (Until I put this old glass on it LOL)