So Mad at Adorama I Could Scream!!!

Discussion in 'Buying and Selling' started by Jeff Fillmore, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

So I ordered a light meter from Adorama Friday morning last week in anticipation of a new camera purchase I would be making this week. ; Same price as B&H (where I usually go) but I ordered from Adorama since they had free shipping. ; :p ; Bad idea. ; I threw a couple rolls of film on the order and let it go. ; I got a confirming email and never thought about it again until Monday night.

Tuesday morning comes and I order the camera- and also notice I still don't have a tracking number from Adorama- the order is listed as 'Pending' on their website so I send an email. ; No response.

Tuesday afternoon comes- still nothing so I call on the phone. ; No explanation is offered other than telling me that everything is 'in stock' and it 'should' go out today. ; When I explain I need this for the weekend they offered to upgrade the shipping from 'free' UPS Ground (which they charged me for anyway- I guess because they threw some film in the box) to 3-Day Select so I will have it on Friday.

Wednesday morning comes- The order is still listed as 'Pending' so I call on the phone as soon as they open. ; I tell them I just want to cancel the order- they ask why and I explain. ; She checks into everything and explains one of the rolls of film is in the 'Store' and someone needs to take it to the 'Warehouse' to complete the order. ; She has no idea why this has not happened already but assures me (the sucker) that she will make sure this is handled immediately- and upgrade the shipping so I will still have it for the weekend. ; She gives me her name and extension- warm and fuzzy feeling- okay fine. ;

Some time in the late afternoon the order status changes from 'Pending' to 'Packaging' or something like that- good I think. ; Then just a few minutes ago I get a tracking number- sent out UPS 3-Day and scheduled for delivery on Monday. ; :eek: ; So the camera I ordered on Tuesday will be here Friday- too bad the meter I need to use it won't.

Sorry all- I just needed to vent. ; Feeling (a little) better now. ; ;)

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I've seen that time to time with Adorama....slow processing. ; But even B&H has a another warehouse that houses some of their stuff now.

Then again I haven't ordered anything from Adorama recently....

3. Roger

Found out today that my macro lens will be here on Friday....at least it's not that far for ground from GA.

4. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

I guess it could be worse- I could have the light meter and not the camera! ; As it is at least I can guess or use another camera to meter with.

5. Roger

Guess. ; Film...ehhh... is cheap.[nb]Not as cheap as digital.[/nb]

It's hard to remember the days when you actually *had* to think about buying a spot meter because it was cheaper than getting a camera that would actually spot meter.

Because all you needed was a viewfinder, and a shutter that would open and close properly....it was the film that mattered. ; And the lens to a lesser extent, but since you didn't waste slides shooting brick walls and looking in the corners...

6. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Film definitely makes you (me) slow down and think about things- especially when you only get 12 shots per roll.

7. Roger

I see what you did there.

But I used to only get 12 shots as well. ; Bracketing you know[nb]Okay, the A2E would sometimes get a 37 or 38 out of a roll[/nb].

8. HelenOster

HelenOster Member

message from Helen Oster at Adorama Camera

Jeff

Firstly, I would like to offer a deep apology for the inconvenience that has been caused to you by our failure to take adequate care in fulfilling your recent order in a timely manner.

From the description of your experience, there can be little doubt that we deserve criticism -and in your position I think I would be steaming mad, too!

I would like to investigate what went wrong and why, but I will need your order number - please contact me directly: helen.oster@adoramacamera.com - and I will give this matter my immediate attention.

Again, my sincere apologies, and I do look forward to hearing from you.

9. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Sorry to hear about the troubles Jeff. While I have not ordered any gear from Adorama, I do most of my processing with them & have had absolutely no problems at all. They have always been very efficient with my orders. Hopefully this was an isolated incident & Helen will be able to straighten it out to prevent this type of thin from happening again. Enjoy the new camera.