So, like, what's the big deal?

Discussion in 'Disney's Animal Kingdom Photos' started by RocketTom, Nov 20, 2010.

1. RocketTom

RocketTom Member

I'm a west-coaster and have only been to WDW once - and that was on the coat tails of a conference over at the convention center. I came with a friend who had been at WDW many times (both of us had been bit by the Disney bug), so he acted as tour guide and we crammed as much as we could into 2.5 days. The first day was spent over at EPCOT, but I told him I really wanted to do the safari, and as close to sundown as I could get. So we hoofed it over there with a bit of time to spare (Hey - Expedition Everest? You bet!) We got on the tour about 30 minute before sunset. The timing was critical.

Why? Being a west-coaster, I have the luxury of 3 world class zoos in my area (L.A. Zoo, San Diego Zoo, and Wild Animal Park), and I know that the critters get kind of anxious at end of day, worring that nobody will forget their next meal. After the tour, I was showing my friend my shots - and he got upset. Steamed. Why? He was in South Aftrica about 6 months before and spend $175 on a tour and didn't get much to show for it picture wise, and here we went on a 20 minute trip and I got some great shots.

When I saw the chatter about finally catching the lions, I thought "What's the big deal? I've been there once, and the lions were great!"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Timing is everything... ; Oh, and made it back to EPCOT for the fireworks...

2. goofmick

goofmick Member

I'll have to try that next time. ; Great shots.

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I'm going to say ditto!

4. fotodave

fotodave Member

Tom, the lions are more active in the winter months.

Generally theyre just sleeping when the majority of guests ride the attraction

5. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Great captures!!! ; I will try that in the summer and see what happens.

6. RocketTom

RocketTom Member

I also shot these in April. They may be a bit active in winter, but in the spring time they're downright playful. ; ::)

And just to let you know that the male capture was a LUCKY shot. He was pacing back and forth waiting for dinner. JUST as the tram was turning, he came on his pacing and turned JUST as I was at that almost perfect spot. On his next turn, we were already to a point where I couldn't shoot anything. I have over 20 snaps of the male, only two turned out. (That, and the camera kept wanting to back-focus to the "rock" behind him.) ; I love that shot of the male because it looks like he's magestically standing there, looking into the setting sun - rather than looking like being impatient and completely bored waiting for some vittles.

My friend knew I would not want a seat in the middle so he let me on first so I could scoot over to the side of the seats. Fortunately, that was the left side of the tram. If I had been on the right, these shots would have been impossible.

7. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I have fun with the threads about the lions elusiveness, and how the animatronics break down or are inactive fairly often making many people not see them. ; But in reality, I've gotten quite a few lion shots there and don't have too much problems getting them - as you said, party luck, party timing. ; I increase my odds by going on 5-6 WDW trips a year! ; :)

8. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Sounds like we need to reschedule the Pixelmania safari meet.

9. fotodave

fotodave Member

My best safari pictures have come in winter, at park open or shortly thereafter. ; I recommend grabbing a FP, and going in the standby line and ride it back to back. ; Also i like the back row, except for it does bounce you around alot.

10. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Actually, I'm a big fan of first row. ; Less bumping around, and I like having good forward view to see what will be coming and prepare for a shot by the time it hits the side view. ; I generally prefer sitting on the left, though right sometimes has good stuff too. ; Left is best chance for cheetah, lions, rhino, hippos, crocs, and elephants.

11. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

There is a lot of construction going on back in the Safari, mostly I assume for the new tour. ; Several areas have a canvas fence running along the road; it doesn't block the view of the animals, but it sure is ugly.