Remote Shutter Release/Release Cable

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Nancy AK, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Nancy AK

Nancy AK Member

What type of remote shutter release/release cord is everyone using? I was going to get either a Vello Shutterboss or the Nikon MC-DC2. Thank you

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

I like to keep it simple. Get a first party basic shutter release. All the extra bells and whistle‘s are stuff you’re never ever going to use.

Nancy AK likes this.
  3. Nancy AK

Nancy AK Member

Something like the Nikon ML-L3 wireless remote(infrared) thingy? I do like simple. Thank you

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

I’m not a big fan of wireless cable releases. I would much rather plug it in and have a solid connection. If I’m going wireless I’m just using my phone with the Wi-Fi feature.

Nancy AK likes this.
  5. Nancy AK

Nancy AK Member

Thank you. I appreciate the reply and information

6. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I have a basic Nikon MC-30 that I've used for years. It's sturdy and well-built, and has lasted much longer than the third-party one I bought first. It has the round plug that screws into the socket on the front of the camera. My only complaint is that it's hard to get the screw started, but once it's in, it's secure. Sadly, it's no longer made, so you'll have to try your luck on ebay.

7. gary

gary Member

a good sony feature is that the same remote works all the different models, something not always true in the other 2 big name brands

Nancy AK likes this.
  8. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I've often used a wired release over the years, eventually buying a wireless, but going back and forth. I finally decided to stick to the brand-made first-party wireless remote for my camera, which works pretty reliably. BUT: One warning! If you don't use it often, remember before heading to Pixelmania to stick in fresh batteries or bring extras with you. I made that mistake one year, as I often don't use my remote all year long, and Pixelmania is the first occasion to pull it out. Had to dig up the old wired remote one year when the batteries were dead on the wireless just as I was setting up for Illuminations.

Nancy AK likes this.
  9. Nancy AK

Nancy AK Member

I just got the Nikon MC-D2 Remote Release Cord, and it doesn’t need a battery, which is a plus. I was gifted the Nikon Infrared remote(think it uses the CR type battery) and a Vello Shutterboss II(uses AAA batteries). I’ll bring these as backups but probably just use the corded.