Rapid Strap Question

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by mSummers, Jul 1, 2012.

1. mSummers

mSummers Member

I have a question for the Rapid Strap users on the forum. ; Does anyone know if it is possible to take the strap apart and replace the stock connecter? ; I'd like to get one and replace the connector with this one:

[​IMG]

While I love my custom made one, It is showing some wear at the edges so I think I want to retire it to use at Williamsburg and Photo Charters were name tags are required which is what I built it for. ;

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

I think it would require some serious surgery.

3. WillCAD

WillCAD Member

To quote the Joker, "Why so serious?"

If the BR strap doesn't unbuckle, worst-case scenario is that you'd have to cut the strap up near where it connects to the shoulder pad, slip the old connector off and the new on on, seal the cut ends with heat, then sew the cut ends back together. Total time about 20 minutes.

With a little more care, however, you could get a few extra pieces of hardware and modify it to ease future replacements:
    1) Cut the strap about 4" from the shoulder pad.
    2) Double over the short cut end, add one half of a 1" buckle to it, and sew it together.
    3) Replace connector on the long end of the cut strap.
    4) Double fold over 1" of the long end of the cut strap and sew it to create a finished end piece.
    5) Thread a tri-glide onto the long end.
    6) Thread the long end through the other half of the 1" plastic buckle and pass it back through the tri-glide.
    7) Buckle the buckle.

I did this to the shoulder strap on the case for my Sunpack tripod and it worked perfectly.

4. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks guys. ; If the strap is adjustable, I'm a little surprised that the strap can't be pulled all the way through the adjustment piece and then re-threaded back through it. ; I'm not wild about the idea of having a buckle in the strap that could potentially open up, but Will's right, I could always sew the strap back shut. ;

Has anyone tried the BRAD piece that connects the front of the strap to the back under the arm? ; Does that really help keep the padded portion of the strap over the shoulder, or is it a worthless add-on?

5. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I just looked at my two straps. ; The RS-1 is only attached at one end, so I could unthread the strap through the adjuster next to the pad if I wanted to. ; The RS-7, however, is sewn at both ends and would require a modification like Will described.

I bought at BRAD hoping that it would cure the slippage problem, but it didn't help at all. ; I'm not sure what it's supposed to do.

I had a problem with my old RS-1 where the edges of the strap were fraying in the area where the camera hung. ; I sent BlackRapid customer service a photo and asked if it was normal for them to wear like that. ; They replied that they had had problems with the material in those early ones and sent me a replacement free of charge.

6. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks Dennis. ; I was looking at the RS-4 which doesn't appear to be sewed on at both ends either, but it's hard to tell from the pictures online. ; I may order one and see what's possible... I can always return it if I don't like it.

7. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Now that I look at it, maybe what I have is an RS-4. ; That looks just like mine, so I think you should be able to make your mod.

8. mSummers

mSummers Member

The RS-4 showed up on Friday and I was able to take it apart and switch out the connector. ; Feeding the strap back through the buckles was a little tricky because the end of the strap is doubled over itself, but it eventually went back through.