POTC: At World's End...

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by Tim, May 27, 2007.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Lets have some discussion about the new movie but here are the rules...

KEEP IT SPOILER FREE FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET.

If you are going to post something that may have a spolier or two, please clearly mark it as such and leave some blank space before the rest of the post.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Member

Pirates 3 = Thumbs Up....

I am not a Pirates apologist... I fell asleep in the theater during DMC finding it to be too long in too many spots and confusing. But being the Dis fan I am went to POTC AWE on opening night. The question was would AWE make DMC a better film and I think the answer is yes. I went back last night and watched DMC and the two help elevate each other. What was once a confusing mess became a very deep narative that would take a second viewing and AWE to help fill in.

It also dawned on me that is is not fair to compare Black Pearl with the last two films. Black Pearl stands off by itself as a contained story. DMC and AWE are very connected (almost Lord of the Rings) type of fantasy movie that take the pirate mythology to a much deeper level.

3. Tim

I agree completely.

4. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Still think that putting text color to match background is a good way.

<now back to trying to get SO to see it so I can>

5. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

WOW! I couldn't believe when that spaceship came and picked up Captain Jack Sparrow, and brought him through a wormhole to modern times, where he ended up at Disney World and went on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, thinking it might have been the portal back to his time, and then found that all the treasure in the ride was actually real, and became a billionaire and bought the Walt Disney companies.

Oops...hope I didn't spoil the ending for anyone.

:)

I liked it. I would agree that it can't stand next to #1 - that was simply a brilliant stroke and a fully self-standing entity. While I didn't dislike #2, I also didn't love it - it seemed a tad convoluted and I felt like it tried too hard to cram 'more' of pretty much everything into it.

#3 made some strides towards working out a cohesive storyline...and though very long, and maybe a few action sequences that got a bit busier than they really needed to be (more of the trying too hard again)...I liked it more than #2.

Pasant, you're right - it does help improve the busy-ness and loose ends of #2 into something more complete - the two certainly work together as a single piece. I personally wouldn't have minded seeing the action sequences scaled back just a bit in a few scenes - not as much quick-editing and whiz-bang everything-but-the-kitchen-sink CG - but overall, an entertaining night out, and a fun flick in the spirit of the original!

6. Tim

my take...

POTC #1 is still the best one in my opinion because of the fact that it was a complete start to finish story. POTC #2 and #3, while fun in their own right, and not complete stories and would have trouble co-existing without each other.

Some of the plot twists in 3 were shocking and the effects were fantastic. All in all I would recommend seeing it without a doubt, BUT make sure you got and re-watch Dead Man's Chest first so you have your bearings for AWE. Lastly, when you go to watch #2 then #3, pay attention to the associations between the characters. Some of the most obvious things are hidden in plain sight...

7. Tim

I was NOT expecting Timekeeper and 9-eye to make a cameo but what a nice tribute to a lost attraction. Couldn't believe it when I saw it...

8. goofy101

goofy101 Member

I thought it was the best one yet, Jack Sparrow and Barbossa had some great interaction, while Will and Elizabeth were OK. There are plenty of storylines left for Disney to continue the francise if they so wished.

9. Tim

i was thinking possible spinoff... kind of the way scorpion king spun off the mummy series.

10. jann1033

jann1033 Member

i was a little disappointed, the plot was fine although i can see where you would be lost is you hadn't seen the second one... but imo Jack Sparrow wasn't nearly as off the wall in this one which i really missed ( like he was tired out, maybe due to having recently being deceased ?;))and ..........................................spoiler..............................
    (scroll down and highlight to see the rest of this post)

i got tired of the multiple JS characters, once was clever then that was enough, ...........though it was amazing how truly old Keith Richards looks, no makeup needed for that one ;D and i thought he was a great addition along with the 10 yr later "coming attractions" bit for the next one(?) after the credits

11. jcvalenti

jcvalenti Member

My son wants me to take him to see this over the weekend ... but I never watched all of POTC #2 and it's been well over a year since I've seen POTC #1 - will I be bored out of my gourd or will I enjoy the movie ?

I'm ambivalent about the POTC movies (if you couldn't guess), but the first one was certainly watchable. And if there's any chance of me seeing Keria Knightly in a wet and potentially clingy pirate costume, fronting $8 for a ticket won't be a problem.