Pocket point-and-shoot

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by skupaychck, Nov 30, 2017.

1. skupaychck

skupaychck Member

Can anyone recommend a good pocket instamatic, just for carrying in my purse (when I don't want to carry the big one.) Thanks!!!

2. gary

gary Member

to be open minded, the point and shoot market is dead, killed by the quality of the cameras in cell phones these days, and as much as i am a little put out by the cell/selfie crowd jamming into a scene making it harder to do a piece without people, i have to recommend using a cell phone now for that purpose

3. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

My “pocket” camera is a Pentax WG3. But I only use it on cruises as it’s waterproof and shock resistant. It also has macro lighting built into it. Though I would say it’s bigger than most pocket sized cameras.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

There's still a small market though for 'high end' P&S type cameras - larger sensors stuffed in small bodies. If you're looking for a P&S that will provide a larger sensor and more zoom flexibility than a phone, you may look into the Sony RX100 series (current models are IV and V), Panasonic ZS100 or LX100, or Canon G7X MII. Most of these use the larger 1" sensors, one uses an M4:3 sensor, and all have a good measure of manual control, several have viewfinders, some even have on-sensor PDAF focus systems for tracking moving subjects, all offer RAW shooting, and several different multi-stacking, pano, and other type features.

The Sony RX100 V is probably one of the most well rounded of the pocket-sized cameras, squeezing in OSPDAF tracking and 24fps burst shooting, a pop-up electronic viewfinder, 24-70mm F1.8-2.8 lens, stabilization, 4K video, all in a pretty tidy 4" x 2" x 1.6" body. The 1" sensor is considerably larger than the one in most phones and generally will provide more dynamic range & better high ISO performance, with the optical zoom range being more useful than a fixed lens phone with digital zoom.

Not that phones are not incredibly capable for general purpose P&S needs - they pretty much crush the old P&S models from a few years ago with excellent processing algorithms...but some folks might still prefer a true optical zoom and some more 'camera like' control than the phone interface, including a viewfinder, and by sticking the larger sensor in the P&S bodies, they've created a niche market that can still survive above phones but below interchangeable-lens cameras.

5. gary

gary Member

indeed the sony rx something would be an excellent pocket camera, and frankly quite a capable all around travel camera, particularly for urban shooting. i just figured the op was looking to supplement an interchangeable lens camera and already probably had a cell phone

6. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

I would have said the Canon G7x Mk3 as mentioned 2 replies up.

7. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

The Canon G series is good, and if you prefer Nikon, I'm very happy with my P7100 which is sadly no longer made. Both shoot raw files, so you have more flexibility in post-processing.

8. skupaychck

skupaychck Member

Thanks everyone! Yes, I am interested in supplimenting an interchangeable lens camera. I just can't get used to the idea of taking "real" photos with a cell phone. I think I might be getting old!

9. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Old = wise. If it doesn't have an optical viewfinder, it's not a camera, IMO. ;)