Pixelmania 2k11 Feasability Poll

Discussion in 'PIXELMANIA!' started by Tim, Dec 6, 2010.

?

Would you be in favor of moving Pixelmania 2k11 (if it happens) to October?

1. Yes!

22 vote(s)
    73.3%
  2. No.

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. WillCAD

WillCAD Member

If the crowds next October are anything even remotely like the crowds were this October, you won't be doing any tripod shooting in the WWOHP anyway. It was shoulder to shoulder in there, and I barely got room to stand still for a few hand-held daytime shots.

2. MJHurley

MJHurley Member

October would be great. We have been talking about making a trip in time for the Halloween Party again.

3. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Yard Apples!!! ; So I go into the Scheduling program to change my vacation time since it looks to be October and the request is locked until I call corporate tomorrow morning. ; Why does everything need to be so difficult. ; Why oh why. ; That and I think after the past couple of days of work I need a vacation to recoup from my vacation.

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

The dates are set for 2k11... ; announcement coming soon!

5. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Personally, I'm a December fan...anytime at Disney is a good time, but October has nasty-ugly heat and humidity, bigger crowds, harder to get reservations for DVC, more expensive points for DVC, dining reservations extremely hard with F&W, and possible interference with my annual cruise vacation which could make me a no-show for the first time. ; If it goes to October, I'd do whatever I could to make it work, but for the sake of the poll, I've gotta put my support behind a big preference for December.

And as for Harry Potter night...zero interest for me. ; In Orlando area, there's Disney World, and a bunch of empty worthless land as far as I'm concerned. ; Nothing else in the Orlando area would be worth visiting, and no other parks even exist in my mind!

6. Tim

"And other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

I would love to check out Universal but I am waiting til my boys get a lot older. ; Potter is going anywhere and I want them to enjoy the park as well. ; Still, Disney takes top billing with me and probably always will.

7. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I was "pricing" it out and I think that October is the same or cheaper than December (depends on when you arrive in november/december). ; At that end, what I did for this year was book into my home resort first, then try and get into my preferred resort once booking opened up at 7 months out (that way I at least had a booking a my home resort before trying to go anywhere else). ; As for the heat and humidity, I was there in October 2009 when you had record highs. ; I will give it a chance next year and then make a decision (and I also like the idea of alternating every other year Halloween then Christmas as a possibility). ; Now I just have to call Corporate to change my requested vacation dates.

8. gary

gary Member

i told tim today, that although dec was my preferred time, i'd give oct a try, and if it's too hot again like 2006, well i'll just parade around the unit in a speedo, that should bust him off oct in a hurry

9. jeff_chaney

jeff_chaney Member

While I'm new to Pixelmania, I was talking with Dennis (dd_indy) that I wish it was taking place in October so that I could get involved. ; I hope to make it this in october! ;

10. Tim

Welcome, Jeff! ; We look forward to meeting you.

11. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

While October is warm, I must admit the temperature was a heck of a lot more tolerable than what I experienced during our normal vacation block the week after Labor Day. ;

One thing October will allow that December won't.........wet rides. ; Gives a whole new meaning to Grip it and Rip it :)

12. gary

gary Member

grip & rip it visits splash mountain, we gotta have that meet, pixelmania 2k10 was the first trip ever for me that i did not ride splash, and considering it's my favorite ride above all others everywhere, and site of my future home for eternity, that's something when it's too cold for me to ride

13. mSummers

mSummers Member

Those with waterproof cameras could also hold the first ever Kali River Rapids Meet. ;

14. WillCAD

WillCAD Member

Every camera can be waterproof with a big enough Ziploc and some duct tape.

15. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Even easier to waterproof with a ziploc when using the WillCAD harness :)

16. Tim

optech rain covers... ; i would go on kali with one of those. ; they work great.

17. mSummers

mSummers Member

I don't think I'm that brave. ; The optech covers are nice, but I have a history of always getting the wrong end of the raft and I don't think I trust them that much... ; Maybe I'll try it with my D70[nb]It already has a phantom electrical glitch so drowning it wouldn't be much of a loss[/nb]

18. RocketTom

RocketTom Member

I had to vote it down. IF I was able to get from the west coast to the east coast, I'd VERY much prefer to go during the Christmas season, weather not withstanding. A friend of mine is over there this weekend, and he was saying it was bitter cold. (Freezing overnight!) I asked if it ruined his trip, and his reply was "Are you kidding?"

OpTech rain covers are great. Cheap, compact - just buy a pair and keep one in your case. If you never need one, your out - what, 5 bucks? Cheap insurance.

19. WillCAD

WillCAD Member

Okay, I just changed my vote, for a totally selfish reason, and here's why:

This December, during the same week as Pixelmania, several other events for other web sites were also held, including Reunion 2010, which includes a lot of the friends I made over the years at MouseFest.

My guess is that this even will happen again next year, same time. And if Pixelmania happens the same week, I'll be able to see both my TMIP friends and my friends who are attending Reunion.

On the other hand, if Pixelmania happens in October, it might coincide with Tag-o-Mania, and I might be able to see my Tagrel friends, too.

I just wish all of these events would happen to choose the same weekend, then I could float around to all of them and see my friends from all the various web sites. But somehow I doubt that will happen.

I guess I just miss MouseFest.

20. gary

gary Member

it's only been mentioned in passing, but maybe there is support for alternating, oct next year, dec in 2012. i voted no but only because i thought i would not be able to get my dvc 1 bedroom due to booking window for food and wine already being open for a while. there is no way i will pay hotel rates while owning dvc, and the point exchange is not the best value for points. but i was able to get the reservation, at the resort i wanted. and the planned dates of pixelmania happen to be the only time in oct i can make it, due to some other prepaid commitments and the state health dept survey of my jobsite is always in oct. and that's not time off allowed. so i wouldn't mind alternating, we would just have to be planning 2 years out so those of us who are dvc can book up against food & wine on a timely basis. just my .02 worth