Photo Contest Poll

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by mSummers, Apr 27, 2012.

1. mSummers

mSummers Member

I'm going to enter some photos in a photo contest in a couple of weeks and need some help narrowing down the selection. ; The contest is railroad related (big surprise there) and the rules limit each person to 3 photos taken at the previous year's event. ; I have narrowed my choices down these 5:

1) ; [​IMG]

2) ; [​IMG]

3) ; [​IMG]

4) ; [​IMG]

5) ; [​IMG]

Which 3 would you go with?

2. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

For me, 2 & 3 for sure but it's a toss up between 1 and 5 for the other photo. ; :-[

3. gary

gary Member

2,3 and 5 for me

4. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

1, 3, and 5 for me.

#3 is awesome!
    #1 for the conductor

5. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

1,2,3 here. ; Especially #1.

6. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

2, 4, and 5 for me...with 2 and 5 beaing my clear favorites. ; I guess I'm a sucker for smoke!

7. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

2, 4, and 5 for me. ; I can see why you are having a difficult time, they are all great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. ELinder

ELinder Member

1, 2, and 3. But they all rock!

9. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

You're right, it's a tough call. ; I like 2, 3 and 5 the best.

I think 1 would be better if the engineer was the primary subject rather than the smokebox. ; The lighting on 4 looks a little uneven on my screen, but having been at night shoots like those back in the days of film and flashbulbs, I know it's tough to get good, even light.

Those are my opinions, but that's the trouble with photo contests - the only opinion that counts is the judge's. ; ;)

10. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

1,2 & 3 for me. ; The people behind the trains in 5 take the timelessness away from the photo for me.

11. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

I initially thought 1, 2 & 3, But I feel it really should be 1, 3 & 5. ; 8)

12. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks everyone! ; It looks like 2 & 3 are the clear winners with a toss up between 1 & 5 for the third entry. ; Let me ask this question... If you thought that several people had a shot similar to #5 (there were a bunch of people on the photo line that morning) would you go with that one anyway, or would you pick #1 because you thought that it would be a unique shot? ; As a side note, the contest is decided by popular vote of all of the attendees of the railfan weekend (not all of them are photographers).

13. ELinder

ELinder Member

In that case definitely number 1. I didn't choose 5 because as cool as it is to see 3 puffers side by side, I'm not too crazy about it being sort of a head on shot. I'd either want to see more of the sides of the train, so they sort of blend together without a gap, or a pure head on centered on the center train view (if it's even possible safely).
    Erich

14. mSummers

mSummers Member

I agree with #5 being better if it was shot from a slight angle... I'll stay off my soap box and simply say that I didn't agree with the photo line location on that one. ; Actually I think a straight on shot is possible there. ; If I remember correctly, the switch on the center track was thrown toward the turnout which would have prevented a collision with the photographer. ; The only difficulty is that the switch stand on that turnout could become an out of focus distracting object depending on the composition. ; I'll put the straight on shot on my list for next time.

15. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

I like 1 because of the conductor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I like 1 over 5 because of the lack of background distractions. ; The conductor adds the human touch to the metal giant.

17. Paul

Paul Member

2, 3 and 5

18. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

I would go with 1 over 5 also, for the same reason Scott gave.

19. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I agree that 1 is more dramatic than 5. ; It sounds like there will be lots of shots like 5 in the contest, so you want to be different.

20. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks again for all the input. ; I really appreciate it. ; Now it's time to prep the images for printing and get them sent to the contest coordinator