Ornithology help

Discussion in 'Disney's Animal Kingdom Photos' started by rickenmartin78, May 26, 2012.

1. Anyone know what kind of duck this is? ; He/she was in the Oasis with some other ducks. ; I've found many a pictoral list of animals in AK, but this one hasn't turned up yet.

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    Duck by rickenmartin78, on Flickr

2. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

S/he almost looks domestic and found a home in the park.

3. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I think this it what you are looking for. ; Based off the bill, I originally thought duck. ; But looking at the neck it seemed to long for a duck so I went to goose. ; However, a goose's bill looks completely different which led me to swans. ; And from there I found this..

The Coscorobas Swan (South America). ; If you look at the photos further down, one has a caption of a nesting pair in the Florida swamps.

http://www.avianweb.com/coscorobaswans.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Thanks so much!!! ; :D

5. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Upon further review, the photo I thought was a florida swamp was just another zooilogical park. ; So the region it lives in is just south america. ; But if I recall correctly, there are other south american animals a Animal Kingdom (the capybara comes to mind first).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

And the giant anteater, as well as the macaws and probably a few lizards & frogs.

Good find on the swan/goose - it definitely didn't look like a duck to me, but geese have a much more bulky and complex bill, so that was throwing me off too.

7. Here's another view of the same bird. ; Thanks again for the help. ; I like to caption my photo books (and do so correctly). ; ;)

Attached Files: