old airplanes and navy day

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by gary, Mar 5, 2021.

1. gary

gary Member

i am currently scanning black and white medium format negatives, from my mothers house, apparently all taken by my grandfather, for instance this is from an envelope, labeled 4/15/1934, now my grandfather was the bookkeeper/supply guy/payrol guy for the green port village electric department, for 44 years, he was a meticulous man, and the envelopes have his name on them with an order number and they went through the drugstore, and many of the envelopes have advertisements for eastman kodak verichrome film, which research on the net says was 620 pan film. on the scanner tray previews show image area of 2.25 x 4.25 or close to that. so i believe he did in fact take these. it seems that he took a lot in the 1930's. and having done 3 envelopes so far, i am setting aside the numerous airplane negatives, in the hopes that maybe some day some museum may want them. and in the hopes of identifying some of these planes. i know a number of regulars on this site like airplanes. i cannot get over what good condition these 87 year old pieces of film are in, no cracking, none stuck together, they kept their tone and contrast very well, now these all have a little preset punch added during the import into lightroom, but they don't need much. so check out this seaplane

[​IMG]

i wonder, did he go to an airshow, where was this field??

[​IMG]

he would have been 24 years old in 1934

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    jbwolffiv and mSummers like this.
  2. gary

gary Member

and he didn't just like planes, he took a lot of boat and ship photos, this if you look closely is a a navy destroyer, called a 4 piper, after the 4 smokestacks, these were obsolete for the us navy in 1940 but were what we lend-leased to britain for convoy duty

[​IMG]

mSummers likes this.
  3. mSummers

mSummers Member

4. gary

gary Member

changed the title to reflect adding a couple of photos from ny navy day 1945, and my grandfather was there, with his medium format camera. 10/27/45, the us navy brought 47 ships to ny harbor and paraded them in the hudson and then anchored for the public to see, including the original carrier enterprise, and the battleship missouri, fresh from the japanese surrender.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jbwolffiv and mSummers like this.
  5. gary

gary Member

i am still working on the family photo collection project, these are scanned from black & white prints, probably the medium format 620 pan film my grandfather shot so much of in the 20's and 30's, any of the flight fans want to take a stab at what airplane this is, suffolk airport 8/16/31 is all the info on the back, both prints,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. gary

gary Member

[​IMG]
    Joe Crane, C-1, learned parachuting in the Army from 1921 – 1924 and became a stunt man with the Burns Flying Circus after leaving the service. In 1925, when most jumpers deployed immediately out of the aircraft, Joe Crane delayed deploying his canopy for 2,250 feet to disprove the theory that a man would lose consciousness in freefall. In 1933, he organized the National Parachute Jumpers Association, a precursor to USPA. Crane died in 1968.

7. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

@gary I'm not seeing the photos in the last two posts, and clicking the link says Accessd Denied. :(

8. gary

gary Member

check the latest post, titled more old planes and let me know if you can see the photos