Oh where to eat

Discussion in 'PIXELMANIA!' started by Sean&Karen, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Sean&Karen

Sean&Karen Guest

So this year we plan at eating at some sit down for some table service. normally we just hit the counter service and go on our way!

I am wondering if anyone wants to recommend a couple of different places to grab a bit in each park?

2. Dan

Dan Member

First off, if you want to eat at a fancy sit down place, GRAB YOUR RESERVATIONS YESTERDAY! Already Le Cellier (located in Epcot, in the World Showcase) has ZERO reservations available for the entire time I'll be at The World. Ohana (located in the Polynesian resort), a new favorite of mine, isn't much better.

For recommendations, I haven't been to Le Cellier yet. But I have yet to hear anything but glowing reviews from it, everyone else has talked me into trying it this year. The fact that it's booked solid only backs up the concept of its popularity.

I only went to Ohana last year. But I loved it. The food could be dismissed as the standard mass produced all you can eat fare. But there's one detail. I universally dislike turkey. The holidays are generally not a time of great feasting for me because I hate turkey. But Ohana serves some variety of turkey, served on a skewer, that I absolutely love. And I enjoyed most of the rest of their food as well. So maybe it's not fine dining. But it was still tasty.
    The real beauty of Ohana is not the food, though. It's a dinner event. To start off with you enter the dining area and see the massive window looking out over the lagoon side of the Polynesian Resort. Ideally it should be night already, and as you look out you see the stunning architecture of the Polynesian, lit by tropical looking torches. I absolutely love the visuals you get from within the dining room.
    Then, to top it all off, they've got a guy playing what I jokingly call an electric ukulele. It's not accurately described as that, it's an acoustic instrument that is then amplified and broadcast over a wireless speaker system. If you watch Lilo and Stitch and find yourself getting into the island music played within it then you'll enjoy the music at Ohana. The thing that I got a kick out of was that the performer explained the meaning of a traditional hula dance. Surely you've heard the old line that the motions in hula dancing tell a story. Well at Ohana I got to learn what one of those stories actually WAS, and how to follow it. They have events for the kids, they try to get diners to come out and participate in the hula in front of everyone, it's, dare I say, fun for the whole family.

I also dig both of the sit down options at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, but unless you're staying there that can be rather out of the way. Jiko is very much a fine dining establishment, with excellent service and a varied menu which contains the most exceptional macaroni and cheese I've ever had as a an accompaniment to filet mignon (I don't go for the bland variety they serve to the kiddies, I like a stronger cheese presence). Boma is a buffet that has, the last few times I've been there, shown a tendency to develop very long lines despite being designed to prevent lines from building up. It's a fun place to go if you possess an adventurous palette, although the truth is none of the flavors offered therein are all that unusual. The food is derived from African recipes, but it's all been modified to be acceptable to American tastes. I like to look for a curry soup, then I have some carved steak with some of the flavored sauces that they offer to go with the meat. Even though they serve the kid friendly macaroni and cheese that I tend to like less, I still habitually get some in honor of my childhood favorite. It's my Disney buffet ritual.
    And the desserts are to die for. Some of the same things that you can find served in small bunches in plastic containers in the counter service area are also to be found in Boma in bulk form.

I guess what I'm saying is, you don't go there if you're on a diet.

In Epcot I have to put in a word for Akershus, now known as the Akershus Royal Banquet Hall. They've turned it into a princess character restaurant since the last time I've been there, and that's been keeping me away. But I always enjoyed it for a very different food option. Yes, if you haven't noticed I like the different options. And I have a particular fascination with Scandinavian culture. The truth is the entire buffet component of the dinner is simply cold food. Meat, cheese, veggies, and, yes, pickled herring. I believe this is actually an authentic cultural tradition, it just seems unimpressive to a culture accustomed to hot buffets. I did try one of the many varieties of herring on offer, but was seriously disturbed when I found that it resembled apple pie in flavor and texture. What I'm saying was that it was good, but it's still not a flavor that you want to find in fish. But they have a specific type of Norwegian cheese that I'm a fan of, called gjetost. Let's be honest, if you don't like odd stuff you may not want to follow in my footsteps. But this stuff is a very unusual kind of cheese that seems to be either goat's milk cheese, or a mixture of cow and goat's milk. It tastes curiously like chocolate, which can also be disturbing at first, but I've grown used to that. For a while I couldn't find it in any local store so I was thrilled to find it in Epcot.
    Wikipedia entry on the cheese

Akershus is more than just a cold buffet, though. They also have a small list of hot items that you can order, one at a time but still ultimately all you can eat. When I first went to Akershus I absolutely loved what I got from the hot menu. The second time I was less enthusiastic, they had changed the menu and the replacements were a pale shadow of what I'd had before. The current menu looks better, but I still haven't had the items on offer so I can't comment on them from experience.
    Recent menu from Akershus

What I'm trying to get at is that, especially if you prefer more standard food items, Akershus may not be the best option. I probably won't be going back this year because I'm on a mission to try a bunch of new stuff, like Le Cellier, but I have to put in a good word for the Norwegian option. They may no longer be a favorite of mine, but it still has a special place in my heart. I can't explain it, I just have a thing for the whole Scandinavian region. I walk briskly by Italy in the World Showcase, the same for France, but I always linger in Norway. Even though the bakery area is haunted by the recorded sound of a bird in severe distress (used to try to scare birds away, it doesn't work though, and although it's said to not be noticeable, I hear it only too well) I like to stop by and pick up a cold smoked salmon and scrambled egg sandwich. You're just going to have to trust me here, the combo works. It's a tasty snack, and the fact that it's not hot makes it all the more refreshing if you're having it for lunch and the day's turned out to be a scorcher.

For MGM.. er.. Hollywood Studios.. I don't have a lot to love. But I've recently discovered that I enjoy the Sci-fi Dine-in. The food that I've had there wasn't fantastic, except for a steak sandwich that's disappeared from the menu (my curse, the same thing happened at Jiko and in too many local restaurants for me to mention), but the ambiance they've created is fantastic. It's really amazing to go in there at lunch time and go from the blazing Florida sun to simulated night. And I love the cheesy classic sci-fi trailers they show on the movie screen. I recommend the "Orbiting Oreos" milkshake, which is an Oreo milkshake plus Godiva chocolate liqueur.

For Animal Kingdom, all of my hopes are on Yak and Yeti. I don't know what will be on the menu yet, but as they're clearly theming it to go along with Expedition Everest I'm hoping for at least some unique ethnic cuisine. I don't know if I can hope for authentic Nepalese food (they have to appeal to too wide an audience to be able to do such niche food, I suspect), but I'm at least hoping for some more generic Indian items. I'll be crushed if there's no curry in sight.

I'll leave it to others to recommend the sources of more traditional American food.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

I really like Restaurant Marrakesh in Epcot. If you are looking for a character meal I would highly recommend The Chrystal Palace.

4. mSummers

mSummers Member

I usually don't eat table service in the parks, but I have eaten at Le Cellier and I can say they have some of the best steak I have ever eaten. We have also had lunch at the Liberty Tree Tavern and the food was good.

Usually my family eats table service meals at the restaurants in the hotels. We really like to eat at 1900 Park Fare at the Floridian. Dinner is buffet style and the food is excellent, especially the prime rib. We also like to eat at the Whispering Canyon Cafe at Wilderness Lodge. Dinner there is a lot of fun. Although I was disappointed the last time I was there because they took the turkey legs off the menu. We always get the all you can eat Canyon Skillet, which is still good even without the turkey legs. Just be careful asking for ketchup and don't drop your utensils...

5. Sean&Karen

Sean&Karen Guest

Wow some great suggestions ... Please keep them coming. ( I like to eat )

6. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Member

I really like the Biergarten in the Germany pavillion, and you can probably still get ADRs there. Bistro de Paris isn't bad. Le Cellier steaks are fantastic, its the only restaurant on the planet where I will order a steak, but they are booked for December. :(

I typically stick to counter service at the Magic Kingdom - either Pecos Bills or Cosmic Rays. Crystal Palace is supposed to be good, but I haven't tried it.

At the Studios, I like the 50's Prime Time if I'm in a group of 3 or more (more fun). I also like the Sci-Fi Dine In - not so much for the food but for the atmosphere. Of course, if you didn't grow up with drive-ins and the old corny sci-fi movies, then it might not be so much fun. ;D

If you have a car, I also give a big thumbs up to BOMA in the Animal Kingdom Lodge. The Mara (counter service) at the hotel is also very good. They have a dish they call African Stew that is very good. Plus they have zebra domes there!

You could also try Spoodles or the ESPN Zone on the Boardwalk. Easy to walk to from EPCOT.

7. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

You can find my 'best restaurant in Disney' thread elsewhere, which will let you know that I endorse Jiko at Animal Kingdom Lodge as the finest restaurant in Disney, if not Orlando. Expensive? Yes. Classy? Yes. But beyond belief, wonderful gourmet foods and spices and excellent wines.

I eat at sit-down restaurants almost every night at Disney...I often skip lunch or breakfast, and like to relax, cool off, and get something a little nicer for dinner.

At the hotels...a few of my favorites:

Maya Grill at Coronado Springs - this is one of my favorite restaurants, and even better, it isn't well known and is a great 'last resort' when you want someplace nice on short notice. The wonderful breads served with cilantro oil with spinach and parsley for dipping is out of this world, full bar and some good wines available, excellent blackened rib-eye steak, and good spanish/mexican fusion foods.

Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge - when Jiko isn't available, or is too expensive or formal, Boma is a great second choice. Much more informal and crowded, and without the dressy ambiance, they have a great selection of fresh grilled meats and sides at the buffet.

Concourse Steakhouse at Contemporary Resort - another great option alot of people don't know about. Those staying there either hit the family/character dining, or those wanting upscale hit California Grill - Concourse Steakhouse sits right in between. All the cuts of meat are great - grilled and buttered, and you can order sauteed onions or mushrooms to accompany. And the onion soup is fantastic (not au gratin - just tons of onions, with some garlic and mushrooms in a thick broth).

Artist's Point at Wilderness Lodge - another excellent upscale place, with great food, great wine selection from throughout the Pacific Northwest, and a mix of wonderful meats, fresh salmon, and occasionally some game specials (the Ostrich, Buffalo, and Venison platter was wonderful).

San Angel Inn at Epcot's Mexico pavilion - This restaurant has probably the greatest ambiance of any in Disney - hard to beat the deep blue night skies, the riverfront patio seating, and the deep, lush forest with the huge looming volcano seeping lava in the distance! And the Mexican food here is excellent - not just the typical 'Americano' style stuff. Experiment and try the Mole sauce (chocolate) on chicken, or ask the chef for the unlisted special - Queso Fundido - for an appetizer (queso blanco and moreno cheeses blended with olive oil, cilantro, spices, finely diced peppers, and chorizo sausage, melted in an iron skillet and served on warm tortillas).

Nine Dragons at Epcot's China Exhibit - excellent Chinese fare - from the classic and well known American dishes, to the exotic and romantic Peking Duck for two, to the authentic Hong Kong style Dim Sum. All very well prepared, and the restaurant is simply beautiful with exotic hardwood carved furniture and dark cavernous reds and woods throughout.

*A sad farewell to a classic and favorite restaurant - Alfredo's of Italy* No longer there, and missed for ever more. Whatever Disney puts in its place may be good...but it won't be Alfredo's and the fettucine will pale in comparison.

And I'll also put in a good word for Restaurant Marrakesh and Le Cellier - both very good. Le Cellier is a favorite, but is indeed often sold out. Part of the issue is that it is a small space compared to some of the other Disney restaurants. And part of the issue is that the food is closest to 'american' food - the less adventurous feel safer eating there than at some of the more ethnic places. Nothing taken away from Le Cellier - the steaks are wonderful, and the beer cheddar soup is a can't miss. But alot of Americans go to Epcot, and many are not as wordly of palate and adventurous.

Yachtsman Steakhouse - expensive, classy, and wonderful aged steaks.

Spoodles at Boardwalk has very good modern Mediterranean fare.

And sure...it's not unique to Disney and certainly nothing you can't get elsewhere - but I usually eat at least one night at Rainforest Cafe at Downtown Disney. Good selection, cheap, fun atmosphere, and if you opt for the patio out back, pretty easy to get a seat (everyone likes to wait in the huge line out front, with the 2-3 hour wait time...but go around the back and get on the short line for patio seating - it's first-come-first serve, and is a great ambiance to chill on the lakeside with exotic birds sitting along the rail watching the boats pass to and from the hotels.

Prime Time Cafe has to get a special mention - my aunt Mary works there! She's been a hostess at the front desk for 15 years - she's in her mid-80s and still working hard. Say hi to Granma Mary Hoppins if you go!

So far, I rarely eat sit-down service in Magic Kingdom or Animal Kingdom. At AK, the only option has been the Rainforest at the exit (I also have high hopes for Yak & Yeti)...and at MK, it's just too crowded and kid intense for me. Plus, from MK, you can hitch a boat or Monorail to 4 different hotels to eat...so that's usually what I do (I love taking the boat from MK to Wilderness Lodge...it's so peaceful and fun, and both restaurants there are good options - the family style one in the lobby is loud and filled with kids - but it's all you can eat BBQ fare, and it's tasty - so you can eat till you pop!).

8. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I know that it has recently changed, but it won't stop me from saying that the Hibachi style restaurant at Japan is a very good place to eat. I have gone there for as long as I can remember. I haven't been to the updated place yet, but I do plan on going the next time I am down.

9. jcvalenti

jcvalenti Member

My $0.02 (and I love to eat, so I know my stuff :) ) ....

Epcot: My two favorites are Le Celier (for a great steakhouse and the friendliest staff) and the Rose & Crown pub (for the experience ... and the Bangers & Mash).

MK: Don't eat there. Seriously. So many better restaurants elsewhere ...

MGM/Disney Studios: 50's Prime Time Diner absolutely can't be missed - great food and totally unique and fun experience. Sci Fi Diner is cute for about 5 minutes, but IMHO, the food is below mediocre and they do not maximize the ambience. For a second, I'd go with the Hollywood Brown Derby ... which is also a great way to secure priority seating for Fantasmic.

Animal Kingdom: I've never eaten there at a sit down, but next time, Jiko is definately on our list.

Downtown Disney: I love House of Blues. Fun "adult" atmosphere (though kids like it too). Raglan Road sounds like it's right up my alley as well, and we're hitting that next time for sure.

I'd definately make sure reservations are made ASAP. If you can't get in somewhere, keep calling back. Things do open up. We make reservations as soon as possible (6 months early) before every trip, because we have a group of 15 that we need to line up and there simply isn't any other way to get in.

As for dining in Disney, it's been my experience that you don't save a whole lot going counter service versus sit down ... and the sit down is a much better experience. I gave up on counter service a decade ago, other than for lunch or the occasional "were too tired to go through another full meal" night.

There's a ton of good restaurant reviews over at Magical Mountain dot Net, by the way.