Nikon D40, D60, Olympus E510? PLEASE help me choose a DSLR.

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by WDWfreak07, Nov 26, 2008.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Roger and I are on the same wavelength - agreed that the older ultra-zooms were a bit better than the general state of the genre today...the megapixel race is hurting the newer models as much as it is in every other category of camera that can't stop cramming in ever-tinier pixel sites for the sake of a big impressive number of MP to put on the box. My H5 was probably near or at the pinnacle of that - already having pushed to 7MP from the still good 5MP H1 before it. Same can be said for the Canon S3IS and Panasonic FZ7, both of which may have been the best of their breed.

However, ultrazooms in general still provide fantastic bang-for-the-buck that is impossible to beat with anything else - with zooms ranging anywhere from 28mm to 560mm, big LCD screens, great movie modes, manual controllability, image stabilization, F2.8 sensitivity, HD compatability, small size, and light weight, all usually for under $500.

As for cameras to recommend - the Panny LZ10 looks to be decent for a discount camera...I guess it depends on how much you want to (or can) request as a spending limit. I would probably recommend the Panasonic TZ4 - it's $40-50 more expensive, but has a better pixel pitch, and an excellent flexible lens range of 10x, with a useful 28mm wide angle and more zoom.

I can't make any recommendations on Casio...not familiar enough with their cameras - I know the one you listed was discontinued some time ago, so you may want to look into their newer offerings.

The Canon S70 is a pretty old camera too. If you were willing to have a little more bulk, I'd take a look at the SX110 IS - it has a nice 10x zoom, stabilization, and manual controllability. If you just want slim and compact, then the SD880 looks pretty nice, and the Sony W120 or Panasonic LZ8 might be worth a look too (check out the dpreview budget compact shootout which looked at cameras in the $100-150 range - these two were the winners).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. WDWfreak07

WDWfreak07 Member

Thanks alot!

Questions now..

Panasonic TZ4, the Panasonic LZ10, and the Canon SD-880 do they all have the manual mode with aperture priority and shutter priority and all?

If they do, I will decide on of those three.

Thanks!

Do the

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

The TZ4 and SD880 have manual mode but no aperture or shutter priority.

The LZ10 does have those.

The Canon line seems to have the faster lens at the wide angle side, and the top two also had true wide angle at the widest end. Odd about the other features missing.

4. WDWfreak07

WDWfreak07 Member

OK. The only reason I was leaning towards the ones with the full manual mode as well as aperture priorty and shutter priority only to get more used to those options on a camera and to have more control over it.

So you think the LZ10 is a good option for what I need then? Any other options, the LZ10 seems a little to cheap to offer everything that it says it has, but I dont know.

Thanks!

5. Roger

6. WDWfreak07

WDWfreak07 Member

After reading more reviews about the camera some say that the image quality is pretty bad so I am stuck yet again.

I also like the Sony DSCH10 and the Canon PowerShot SX110 IS, even though they werent one of the three I chose.

I eliminated the Casio Ex750 and the Canon Powershot S70.

So I really dont know. I have to let my mom know by tomorrow so I may just end up biting the bullet and going with the Panasonic TZ10 or either the Sony or the Canon even though they are a bit bigger.

thanks! More suggestions are welcome since I only have a little bit of time before I tell my mom which one I'd want.

Thanks again!

7. Roger

I think both of those models don't have aperture or shutter priority modes. But they do have manual!